Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2021, 02:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

brown algae problems

hi all just needed to ask a few things about brown algae problems i,m having with my tanks its been a problem for a couple of years now i have an african cichlid tank i have 2 eheim canester filters running in a 87 gallon tank air stone and a new wave maker just added, the lights are led strip lights one is blue the other is blue and white i have these on for about 9 hours a day i do a 35% water change every week and clean alternate filters every 3 weeks but hover gravel every week when i do the water change, i only feed my fish every other day its heavily stocked with about 30 fish all the fish are heathy no problems at all but i get persistent brown algae on my resin ornaments and plants which are plastic as anything i put in real gets shredded no matter what it is i keep it in control on gravel and glass at moment there is none growing on them it affects resin over time and plastic plants all the time, my water does have highish nitrates but being the fish need hard water which mine is i don,t think i can do anything about that any suggestions as to what i,m doing wrong or what other things i can try to combat it at all i have no other type algae growth in tank

Old 02-07-2021, 03:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin quarmby View Post
hi all just needed to ask a few things about brown algae problems i,m having with my tanks its been a problem for a couple of years now i have an african cichlid tank i have 2 eheim canester filters running in a 87 gallon tank air stone and a new wave maker just added, the lights are led strip lights one is blue the other is blue and white i have these on for about 9 hours a day i do a 35% water change every week and clean alternate filters every 3 weeks but hover gravel every week when i do the water change, i only feed my fish every other day its heavily stocked with about 30 fish all the fish are heathy no problems at all but i get persistent brown algae on my resin ornaments and plants which are plastic as anything i put in real gets shredded no matter what it is i keep it in control on gravel and glass at moment there is none growing on them it affects resin over time and plastic plants all the time, my water does have highish nitrates but being the fish need hard water which mine is i don,t think i can do anything about that any suggestions as to what i,m doing wrong or what other things i can try to combat it at all i have no other type algae growth in tank

Try some floating plants. If they donít get eaten they will help clean the water. Amazon frogbit, or salvina Iíd go with. Duckweed is tasty and will probably be eaten.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I built a hanging basket and put a whole pothos in it to help with nitrates in my heavily stocked African tank. That diatom brown algae like stuff feeds on your nitrates. I know it's hard to keep them down in a heavily stocked tank like that
Old 02-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I drilled this out, but you could use anything that protects the roots and still allows water flowClick image for larger version

Name:	20210113_085448.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	319651Click image for larger version

Name:	20210113_085436.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	319652
Old 02-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
I drilled this out, but you could use anything that protects the roots and still allows water flowAttachment 319651Attachment 319652

Great Idea.

Tags
algae, brown, brown algae, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com