Brown Algae.......re-visited.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,

I'd posted some time ago regarding brown algae (diatoms) that is in my 20 gall tank. Unfortunately, it's still there and getting worse, instead of better.

Increasing the # of hours of light has had no effect on it. The tank is fully cycled and has been for a couple of months, so I'm not sure it's New Tank Syndrome. I'm still doing weekly 50-60% PWC's, thoroughly vacuuming the gravel each time. I've cut back on feeding with no luck. My nitrates are usually between 5 & 10 ppm weekly prior to doing the PWC.

The fish are still doing great (Tetras, Platies, & a DG) but the tank is absolutely embarrassing. It wipes off the glass easily, but is back within a day or two. The silk plants have pretty much turned completely brown, as have the filter intake tube & heater. My frustration level is such that I'm ready to give up, but the fish seem healthy & happy so I keep toughing it out.

I've done a little research & have seen excess silicates listed as a possible cause. Saw that Phos-zorb would reduce excess phosphates & silicates. I was considering this as my next step, going on the assumption that my tap water has excess silicates.......I'm desperate at this point--I want my attractive tank back :cry: .

Could Phos-zorb harm the fish? Would this be a good idea or not? I really hated to bring this up again, but I'm really at a loss as to what I might be missing or doing wrong. Hoping someone here has successfully battled this nuisance algae????? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks again from a VERY frustrated newbie!

hi tx,

do you have test kits? what are your tank parameters? how many wpg, ammonia, nitirite, nitrate, phosphate, kh, gh levels? how many fish do you have and what kind? do you have plants? this info might help people help you figure out what to do about your algae...

Yes, I do have test kits, but only for Ammonia, Nitrite, & Nitrate. Ammonia & nitrites are 0. Nitrates do not get above 5-10 ppm prior to weekly PWC. I don't have tests for phosphate, kh, and gh.

WPG??? Watts per gallon? If so, I've got a 15 watt fluorescent on the tank.

No live plants, 8 Lemon Tetra, 5 Platies, 1 Swordtail, 1 Dwarf Gourami in a 20 gall tank with a Penguin 150 filter.

Any suggestions or input would be much appreciated.

Brown algae is usually (99%) of the time due to............
Water high in silicates (hard water).
Poor water flow
Poor lighting.
A combination of the above.
Work on these and it should disappear.

Ive only just put my first fish into my new tank, which before hand was full of brown algae, much like yours, it seemed to appear overnight and was all over the rocks, glass and plants (this happened during cycling). I was a bit worried about it, until i woke up this morning and found that my 2 brand new oto's had nearly completely cleaned up all the rocks! There is still some algae on the plants, but they are hard at work as we speak! They are only small little fish, but they are doing a fine job! I expect it will be clean within the next few days!

I would highly recommend purchasing some oto's, I did want 4, but the lfs only had 2 at the time, i will be adding two more when they get some more.

Could Phos-zorb harm the fish? Would this be a good idea or not? I really hated to bring this up again, but I'm really at a loss as to what I might be missing or doing wrong. Hoping someone here has successfully battled this nuisance algae????? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Phosphate reducing media may help, and no will not harm the fish. I have heard of people reducing diatoms after the use of phosphate removers. I agree it sounds like you may just have silicates in your tap water that is feeding the diatoms (make up almost entirely of silica). If that is the case, you may have to look into purchasing spring water for your tank water changes.

i just set up a new tank, and i was having a problem with brush algae.. got a couple of siamese algae eaters (i think).. might be flying fox, but they are taking care of it regardless... its gone from my plants, most of the rock, and i got it all off the glass. We will see if it stays gone. Here is a link

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/sae.htm

Recently my city water has been a bit hard so I had an increase in diatoms. But Ive significantly reduced diatoms in my tank, so now there is only small traces left :). I added a heap of plants (anubias, vals) and then I added in some extra phosphate filter media on top of the normal filter sponge.

Back
Top Bottom