Brown Algee (DIATOMS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love_MyFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there any way to stop the cycle of brown algee? Its been in my 3 tanks for a month or so. My once beautiful tanks now look horrid. :banghead:

Maybe....

Is there any way to stop the cycle of brown algee? Its been in my 3 tanks for a month or so. My once beautiful tanks now look horrid. :banghead:

Not really, but as stated above, somethings help. In my case, my tank started to show diatoms one month after the initial set up. They grow fast, as you already noticed.
  • I started to do a PWC every three days, like 30% each.
  • Also I removed the plastic plants (full of diatoms) and cleaned them with a brush and tap water... then I just rinsed them in tank water and then I put them back.
  • I brushed the walls of the tank during the PWC to remove the diatoms from the walls. Sometimes I used a scraper.
  • Reduced my lights from 8 to 5 hours per day... I just have some low light real plants, the rest are plastic.
Then I noticed that with these changes at least they slow down, or maybe was just me seeing the tank cleaner... I don't know.
Suddently they started to die !!!! Like 5 weeks after they appear !!!, now there are just some small spots, but they are dying !!!

Good Luck !(y)

Back
Top Bottom