Brown Diatom Algae Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uncleken

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks in advance for reading my long story....

I currently have a 36 gallon Bow Front Tropical Freshwater Aquarium. Fluval 305 and a Penquin 150 Bio-wheel for filtration. My water source is well water that is treated with a home filtration system that includes water softener. 6 Silver Tip Tetra and 3 Gold Barb.

This Tank has been set up for over a year now and I just cannot solve my Brown Diatom Algae problem! Water change and clean the tank, days later, it just starts to show up again. Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates are 0 and Phosphate has never been greater than 0.5mg/L. I am using Tetra AquaSafe as my water conditioner - no other additives are going into the tank as well. Last Water Change was done on 1/27/09.

I do not have any pictures, but I've already had it diagnosed as Brown Diatom Algae and it's grows everywhere - all the glass panes, plastic plants, rocks, etc.

Furthermore, I also have a 16 gallon bowfront going - using same water and it has very little if any brown algae at all.

To date, I've tried the following:
-Marc Weiss Algae Magic - 1st dose Schedule completed on 1/17/09 - you have to wait 2 weeks for the 2nd dose.

-1/30/09 started Seachem PhosGuard in the Fluval. I've got a 1/4 cup each of media in 2 filter bags. (is this too little?)

Furthermore, I am researching the Vortex Diatom Filter and an RO/DI unit.

Will the Vortex Diatom Filter help?
Will an RO/DI unit help?

Any and all advice/recommendations are welcome...Thank you.

Do you have any real plants in the tank? Have you looked into any cleaner critters? In my experience ghost shrimp seem to work pretty well. I've also read that oto cats will eat diatoms but I could be wrong about that.

Also, what are the exact differences between the two tanks other than size? Lighting, stocking, feeding, that sort of thing. Might help you figure out what some of the contributing factors are.

I had the same problem for a while with live plants in the tank. If you have live plants then I will go in detail what I had to do. I am curious if you have no live plants why the 0 nitrates. If you have live plants that could explain the 0 nitrates.

When you do water changes how much do you do at a time? Do you clean the filters each time?

1. Let me check my nitrates again - it's been a few days. I'll do a full test and repost in a couple of hours.

2. No Live Plants in the 36 Gallon...as a matter of fact, i've removed most of the plastic plants - sick and tired of cleaning the algae.

3. This one really perplexes me. There is absolutely no difference between the 36 and 16 gallon tank. Same Water, Plastic Plants, Gravel, water conditioner. The only exception is that the 16 does not have a Fluval (Just a Penquin BioWheel 150). BTW, the 16 gets more natural daylight than the 36.

4. I'm looking to avoid a solution soley based on introducing Algae Eating livestock - I already tried that route with True SAE's - they lost interest in the algae after awhile and eventually all of them died.

5. Water changes are done every 2 weeks. I replace and add 1 BioWheel Filter per change. The Fluval filters are changed every month to month + 1/2. PS - I'm still using the same BioMax Media that came with the original Fluval - but I doubt that is the root cause.

Thanks

I was asking about nitrItes. Do you clean the filters with each tank clean? The fact that you have no nitrates in the tank makes me wonder if for some reason the tank isn't still cycling, or having a mini cycle?

I have a planted tank with the same problem: brown diatoms, Zagz, what was your solution?

you're replacing the biowheel? i'm pretty sure thats supposed to be a permenat thing.
and what about your flourecent light? is it for aquariums? could a wrong bulb like one that is sold for reptiles cause it? i almost bought a reptile light once and the guy at lfs caught my mistake.

Here are my test results:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 0

No, I do not change the Bio Wheel - just the Rite Size Carbon Pads w/ each water change:D

I don't suspect it's going thru a mini cycle, no sign of fish distress or other indications..plus no ammonia whatsoever.

Believe me, I'm totally perplexed by this on. The only thing I can potentially point a finger at are Silicates, but the 16G gets the same water.

Try upping the water changes to weekly and see if that helps keep ahead of the diatoms. That is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that may help.

Thanks Zagz...I'll try weekly water changes for now.

PS, Any further Advice on getting either the Vortex Diatom Filter or
RO/DI Unit?

If you do go with RO/DI you will still have to mix tap in. Unless your out of the tap water parameters are way out of whack with ammonia or ph, I wouldn't bother with it. Some swear by Diatom filters. I have never tried one so can't tell you from experience. If it were me, I'd try weekly water changes for a while then make a decision.

Thanks again...

PS, do you have any fish recommendations that will eat the Brown Stuff?

I want to avoid Snails, SAE's (tried & failed), and FW Inverts. I'm looking for something that's hardy.

Back
Top Bottom