Brown Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Castillo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the best algae eater for brown hair algae? I'm thinking Amani shrimp?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What is the best algae eater for brown hair algae? I'm thinking Amani shrimp?

Water changes and monitoring parameters. Not over feeding, not over stocking the bio load.... Adding more fish or something isn't going to do any good

Well my parameters are very messed up because I am doing a fishless cycle and it's almost finished. I'm not feeding anything, I'm using straight ammonia from ACE and then supplementing bacteria on top of that.

I had hair algae growing on the Hornwort tethered to the top of my 29. This was in a tank with GBRs and very clean water (~10 ppm nitrate). The way I got rid of it was to throw out the Hornwort. The remaining surface area in my tank was apparently too dimly-lit, as the hair algae never grew anywhere else. I tethered fresh Hornwort to the top of the tank a month later and the hair algae didn't return.

If you're still cycling, consider draping your tank with a dark towel or blanket for a week or so. The lack of light should eventually kill it.

Get yourself some siamese algae eaters.. the real ones have the black strip through their entire body and the tail fin.

I have 3 in my 92g tank, because when i switched to floramax original substrate i had a brown hair algae explosion and it gets like 2-3 feet long all over everything.. Other users had the same issue with this substrate... But these siamese algae eaters tore the stuff up in 1-2 days they even cleaned the roots of my floating plants shiny and clean.. Best algae eaters ever !! I treid shrimp they didnt do anything was a waste of money and the pace these guys ate the hair algae was awsome.. I havent seen it since and if i do find a spec its gone shortly later. They do get like 4-5 inches in size though and prefer to have friends

Was fun watching them eat it like spagettie

img_3272280_0_1254cee4358ef13006ba88eb5c12d508.jpg

img_3272280_1_411c27c5d04acaa9e8c263c9fe884150.jpg

Back
Top Bottom