Bubble Nest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I saw something today in my aquarium that made me do a double take!

Around the entire back of the aquarium, all of both sides, and about 1/2 of the front, right at the top level of the water, the top 1/8 inch is all bubbles (not the entire surface of the water, just along the sides of the glass)! I've never seen this before, it's just never happened.

I seem to remember something about gouramis building bubble nests? Is that what they look like? And why would my gourami be building it (if he is) when there is no female in the tank with him? After reading descriptions of the finnage of males and female blue gouramis, I am almost positive I have a male.

Paul

That's an awful lot of bubbles!

Anyways, It sounds like a bubble nest to me. My male betta is solo and he builds bubble nests all the time - I've yet to own a gourami, but my guess is that they'd build bubble nests even if females weren't present as well...so it could be!

Bettas and Gouramis will build bubble nests even if there is no female around if they are happy. They usually won't do it if they're stressed or the water quality is bad. My Betta didn't start building a nest until he'd been in his tank a week and now it's all over the place!!! I had one a long time ago that if I didn't clean his tank on a regular basis, he'd stop building one and wouldn't build one until I cleaned his tank...

Bubble nest building is a sign that your fish is happy and healthy! Although if the conditions aren't right (for instance, the waterflow in my tank is too hard in my tank for my gourami to build a nest) they can't build one without changes being made.

YEP!
Thats a bubble nest.
My Betta builds them all the time It means your doing a good job and your fish is happy.

Sounds like a bubble nest.
I bought this book on bettas a while back and the author theorized that nest-building was actually pleasurable for males *shrug*

Back
Top Bottom