Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2004, 04:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bubble Nest?

OK, I saw something today in my aquarium that made me do a double take!

Around the entire back of the aquarium, all of both sides, and about 1/2 of the front, right at the top level of the water, the top 1/8 inch is all bubbles (not the entire surface of the water, just along the sides of the glass)! I've never seen this before, it's just never happened.

I seem to remember something about gouramis building bubble nests? Is that what they look like? And why would my gourami be building it (if he is) when there is no female in the tank with him? After reading descriptions of the finnage of males and female blue gouramis, I am almost positive I have a male.

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That's an awful lot of bubbles!

Anyways, It sounds like a bubble nest to me. My male betta is solo and he builds bubble nests all the time - I've yet to own a gourami, but my guess is that they'd build bubble nests even if females weren't present as well...so it could be!

Old 07-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Punkymom
Bettas and Gouramis will build bubble nests even if there is no female around if they are happy. They usually won't do it if they're stressed or the water quality is bad. My Betta didn't start building a nest until he'd been in his tank a week and now it's all over the place!!! I had one a long time ago that if I didn't clean his tank on a regular basis, he'd stop building one and wouldn't build one until I cleaned his tank...
Old 07-16-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Bubble nest building is a sign that your fish is happy and healthy! Although if the conditions aren't right (for instance, the waterflow in my tank is too hard in my tank for my gourami to build a nest) they can't build one without changes being made.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
YEP!
Thats a bubble nest.
My Betta builds them all the time It means your doing a good job and your fish is happy.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sounds like a bubble nest.
I bought this book on bettas a while back and the author theorized that nest-building was actually pleasurable for males *shrug*

many, many baby mollies
1 small clown loach (~2-2.5", returning to LFS in august)
newaridiar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble, bubble nest, nest

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com