Bubble Wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlelouie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 6gal Eclipse System 6 tank which has all 3 types of filtration built in, including a bio-wheel.

I have a piece of driftwood in the centre of the tank of which the 5 cardinal tetras and clown loach love. I have 2 plastic plants at the back and will be adding some live plants soon to complete the set-up.

What I would like to know is this: I saw a Bubble Wall air device today that I think would look great at the back of my tank but don't know if it will have any bad effects on the tank. I am interested in the bubble wall for it's aesthetic value and need some advice from you guy's.

Thanks
Louise

I have them in most of my tanks, except my planted, because I like them and they do seem to improve oxygenation. In my Eclipses I just ran the air tubing through the little opening for the other cords, and no problems. Many fish like to swim through the bubbles. It may increase evaporation slightly, and increase any water deposits on the light cover. If you keep plants the bubbles increases how quickly CO2 leaves the water, but otherwise go for it!

Hey Louie,

If you are wanting to keep live plants, most people will tell you not to get a bubble wall or any other kind of underwater aerating device. Bubbling air into your tank will actually drive off Co2 that the plants need to photosynthesize.

Now how much will it affect the amount of Co2 in your tank? If you are not planning on using any kind of Co2 setup to bubble in Co2, than I wouldn't think the bubble wall would make much of a difference. The amount of dissolved Co2 in the tank without a proper Co2 setup is so small that aerating the tank probably won't drive much more of it out. However, if you were serious about keeping a planted tank and decided you wanted a Co2 unit, the bubble wall would be your worst enemy...

I would say go ahead and get one even if you are going to put in some live plants. If you ever decide you really want to try your hand at using a CO2 unit for your plants, you can just take the bubble wall out.

Cardinal tetras would not appreciate the added turbulence in the water. They like very still water--they are very skittish

my guppies love it and play in it often. And when I turn it off, my tank really looks a ton more boring. :)

-j

My cardinals do not mind my bubble wall, and in fact they take turns swimming in a line across the current of my spray bar!

Thank you everyone :D

I love how this forum can give a broad spectrum of thoughts and opinions.

I mentioned the bubble wall to my husband and he doesn't think much of the idea at all, so I guess it's a matter of opinion.

I will however do a little more research on the cardinal tetras and bubbles plus work on convincing my hubby :wink:

Bubble Wall v Bubble Wand what's the verdict?

Louise 8)

i love my bubble wall and wouldnt trade it for anything, i might get another one so the entire back of my tank is bubbling! right now i have a 21inch one centered and it looks great

ok wait i might be confused, i have well it looks like a wand and a bunch of bubbles come up off of it, the air tube hooks in on one end, is that a wall or a wand?

The wall is made by Penn-Plax and the wand is by Marineland.

My tank is by Marineland but I wondered how the Penn-Plax version in the bubble wall compared. The price of the wall is pretty good but I haven't seen a wand so don't know if they are the same deal.

Thanks BHBowhunter

Louise

Same thing. Some airstones are heavy and solid and are not terribly long, as they are brittle. Others are a synthetic material that is lightweight and very slightly flexible and come in long lengths to create a "wall" by suction cups to the glass. A wand might just be buried in the gravel in the middle to create bubbles anywhere in the tank (I have one underneath a slate topped cave, and the bubbles travel up and out of the cave) A wall abuts to the side of the tank and the bubbles travel up the wall.

We have an 8 inch bubble wall airstone in the back. Definitely adds to the tank. The sharks used to love to swim in the current. :(

d9hp...how much sound?

We live in a 1 room flat therefore the tank is in the bedroom, the kitchen, the lounge room etc.... so is the sound more than a trickle/low bubbling or more humming and splashing? :wink:

Louise

I can't speak for d9hp, but I have a lot of bubble action going and with the hood on there you can't hear very much at all. The only thing you might hear is the vibration of the air pump that powers the bubbles.

Yes, vibration was a problem for me, so I built a stand for the pump and set it on a towel. The bubbles are not annoying, just a nice little splashing. Not enough to keep you awake but enough to sooth you into a nice sleep.

Excellent...didn't want to keep going to the bathroom all night hearing the trickle :lol:

I am slowly convincing my husband that a bubble wall would look good in there :wink:

I did it :multi:

I added a bubble wall to my tropical yesterday and it looks great.

My husband agrees too :mrgreen:

The clown loach likes swimming through it and so do a couple of the cardinals :wink:

I am so pleased with such a simple addition :p

Louise

Back
Top Bottom