Bubbles Causing Cloudy Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curious1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I thought I had a problem with cloudy water from dirty water but not I think it might be from something else. I have tried a HOB filter, internal filter and now a canister filter with a UV light and the water still appears cloudy. This morning I looked at it closely and there are millions of tiny bubbles from the filter which I believe are making the water appear cloudy. Is there anything I can do about this or am I stuck with it? The aquarium in the fish store with the same type of filter is crystal clear. I did just install the canister filter last night so maybe I need to give it more time but I do see millions of small bubbles which seem to catch the light and make the water seem cloudy.

You can try to move the return line as close to the water as possible so that it doesn't force any air into the tank as it hits the water.

A picture would be useful.
Take some water from your tank and put it in a very clean glass. Let it sit and see if it is still cloudy after about 30 min. See if it has a color or tint to it.
What water conditioner or chemicals do you use in your tank?
People who use stress coat and some other conditioners can have that problem.

not sure how new you are to fish keeping. I was having the same problem a while back. You might be having the dreaded mini-cycle aka "new tank syndrome" going on.

The cloudiness looks like really super fine bubble or dust floating in your tank? White in color? Sort of looks like someone in your tank has been sanding joint compound.

Keep on doing partial water changes (daily), check your water with a test kit daily, don't add any more fish.

I thought it was all sorts of "contaminates" or such.

How old is your set up? Did you let it cycle properly? Did you change the filter media recently (or run it under tap water)? Did you add more then 3 fish a little bit before it happened?

Like I said it happened to me a few months ago, and sounds very similar to a mini-cycle.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom