Bucket water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJudd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 200l tank and use a 10l bucket for WCs. I assumed as one bucket is 5% of the tank water volume then 10 buckets would be 50%.
Not so. The first bucket changes 5% but subsequent buckets remove some of the new water added. It turns out that 10 buckets only change 40% of the original tank water. To do 50% will take 13/14 buckets.
Of course if 10 buckets are removed and then 10 buckets are replaced then this would be 50%.
The percentage of original water changed really starts to fall off after 5 buckets (25%).
So now I do 25% more often than I used to do 50%.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well you're not filling the bucket all the way to the brim, are you?

You're probably filling it with 8-9l's not the full 10.

Edit: On second thoughts... I've read through again, I'm not too sure what you mean by the amount of original water being removed goes down..

Are you adding water in WHILE taking water out?

Only if you add water before you're finished taking all of the water out. Most of the time people just take 5 (or whatever) consecutive buckets out and then 5 fresh buckets in.

I made a percentage chart a while back - I was testing the idea of it being easier to do it your way because there are less trips to and from the bathroom (same size tank and buckets). If one bucket is 5%, and you add a bucket of fresh water to the tank right away before taking anything else out, this is total % water changes per how many buckets you take. Second column is the "traditional" way of taking all the buckets out then putting them all back in. I think you used the same formula based on your post.

Ultimately, it's worth it if you're only doing 15% or so. Otherwise it's less work overall to just empty the tank more instead.

Attachments

• waterchange.png
    waterchange.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 154
Plus the tank will not hold 200 litres of water when a substrate and decor is added.

Lets say 50% is half your tank, so you drain off half way down the tank and then put in the amount of treated water to fill the tank, end of, calculations are not needed.......

Water Changes

Hello Scot...

I use the bucket method to change the tank water too. I put a small mark half way up the side of the tank and then remove the water down to the mark. I prefer to do large water changes, at least 50 percent and the mark is roughly a bit more than half, but the fish and plants don't seem to mind a little more clean water every week.

B

1. Most of the time people just take 5 (or whatever) consecutive buckets out and then 5 fresh buckets in.

2. I made a percentage chart a while back -

3. I think you used the same formula based on your post.

4. Ultimately, it's worth it if you're only doing 15% or so.

5. Otherwise it's less work overall to just empty the tank more instead.

Allyson, I edited for reference.
1. I agree totally. Empty first, then fill.
2. Excellent chart !! ?
3. Thinking the same also.
4. Slightly disagree because new water should always be treated prior to entering the tank. It's my opinion that if done this way, it's pouring money down the drain to treat water you're instantly removing.
5. Agree totally. (As well less costly to treat as above mentioned.)

Plus the tank will not hold 200 litres of water when a substrate and decor is added.

Very correct !!!

Lets say 50% is half your tank, so you drain off half way down the tank and then put in the amount of treated water to fill the tank, end of, calculations are not needed.......

Oh lord !!!! When did they change 50% ?? ??. (Sorry buddy, couldn't resist)

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Allyson, I edited for reference.
1. I agree totally. Empty first, then fill.
2. Excellent chart !! ��
3. Thinking the same also.
4. Slightly disagree because new water should always be treated prior to entering the tank. It's my opinion that if done this way, it's pouring money down the drain to treat water you're instantly removing.
5. Agree totally. (As well less costly to treat as above mentioned.)

Very correct !!!

Oh lord !!!! When did they change 50% ?? ����. (Sorry buddy, couldn't resist)

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!
LOL, nice one tree

Great replies to all especially the chart.
The point I was making, and demonstrated on the chart, is that the one bucket out and one bucket in method doesn't change as much water as you might think. But this is still my preferred method. Perhaps I have too much time on my hands ?.

I have to say it's not the right method, And I used to live in Yorkshire mate, you might say what's that got to do with it, answer "NOWT".......lol

Back
Top Bottom