Bug in aquarium/filter...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kherm89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

I have afound a few tiny bugs running around the bottom of my aquarium. I sucked them out with a turkey baster I have been using to clean the sand. Today I went to check my filter because I was afraid needles from the hornwort might clog it and there were little maggot like things in it.

I found about 4 on the surface but I didn't want to go digging. I took them off and flushed them down the sink. They seem like little maggots with feet, almost like a tiny shrimp? Are these ok for the tank? Where did they come from?

I've had my 29 gallon set up for 3 weeks, just fully cycled with plants and added an amano shimp a few days ago. I also had a snail last week that must have come with a plant and I took him out too.

Thanks!

I'll try and get a picture if I see another one.

Theres a ton of little bugs that can inhabit the aquarium. Most of them end up being delicious fish food while theres very few that are actually dangerous to the fish. A picture would help us with an id.

I think they might be scuds. Look up a picture and see if it matches. They tend to stick to the plants in my tank. I'm pretty sure they're harmless, and I know people sometimes use them as fish food.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom