bugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvmyfishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my sister in law called and asked what could be in their tank? she described them as little black bugs on the edge of the tank. the tank is a coffee table tank i used to have. they are very tiny about the size of a pin head and black, only on the edge around the rim of the tank. they don't see them coming in or out anywhere else. does anyone know what these bugs are?

Are they IN the water or out of it? If they're in the water then they are likely small crustaceans that flourish in tanks where there is excess uneaten food in the gravel. If they're out of the water then there is no telling!

I have heard of insect larva living like this, but this time of year it seems unusual, also the fact that it is a coffee table tank means it is harder for bugs to access the water (I think... :? )

The solution, any way you slice it, would be to increase water changes and possibly allow for additional surface agitation.

increasing the water surface circulation sounds good. it is actually easier to access the water in the coffee table aquarium the glass sits on 4 acrylic dowels about 11/2 to 2 inches above the rim. thanks

the glass sits on 4 acrylic dowels about 11/2 to 2 inches above the rim.
Okay, I see now, so it is actually easier for a buggy type to get in there than it would be on a typical tank with a glass top or canopy. The fish would probably enjoy snacking on the larvae (or whatever they are, assuming they are some type of insect) if they could get at them. If she sweeps them off the glass into the water I'll bet the fish will eat 'em.

Back
Top Bottom