Bugs in my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbyDoom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was cleaning my sponge filter and came across a few tiny, what I believe are insects; floating in the container I put the sponge into to travel to the sink.
I only noticed them once the water and debris in the container stopped moving and they still were.
I used macro to take the photo. It's not entirely clear, but clear enough to see the shape and colours. I saw on another forum that someone had, had these and no one knew what they were. He mentioned that the health of the turtle he was housing was still good, as are the health of my fish.

Has anyone seen these before or have any idea what they are.
I wonder if they are at all beneficial.
I live in southern Ontario and if they are some sort of insect common here, I'm not at all worried.

Attachments

• DSCF3025.jpg
    DSCF3025.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF3022.jpg
    DSCF3022.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 123
picture is really too small to see, but it could be something as common as a water flea or it might be a type of molusk.

Wy Renegade said:
picture is really too small to see, but it could be something as common as a water flea or it might be a type of molusk.

The photo won't enlarge on the computer? It's at a 12k resolution with super macro.
Hmmm, I'll look into those and see if its a match.
Perhaps it has come in with some aquatic plants.
I hadn't seen them before I started to add live plants.

I've looked into the water fleas and they are definitely not the same.
Here is a better photo taken from the guy with the turtle.

Attachments

• image-1332505788.jpg
    image-1332505788.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 111
Could you have gotten a snail egg sack on one of your plants? Maybe tiny snails of some sort? Still hard to see though. Good luck.

smallfry53 said:
Could you have gotten a snail egg sack on one of your plants? Maybe tiny snails of some sort? Still hard to see though. Good luck.

I don't think they are snails. They zip around pretty fast.

I say water fleas (daphnia). There are many different types.

If there was any bug that I could compare it to, it would be a super tiny ladybug.

I think that I have found out what it is.
They might be Cypridopsis vidua. They look very much the same. Also, they are found in parts of the US. If the origins of the Vallisneria I bought online was traced, perhaps the "bug" was in the water, perhaps where the Vals were store before shipping.

Attachments

• paleoenv-cypridopsis-vidua-wiki.jpeg
    paleoenv-cypridopsis-vidua-wiki.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom