bulldog plec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi i recently moved my 2inch plec into my 16gallon with my betta and cories as he had been attacking my bnp. Last night I noticed my plec jumping on the back of my cories? When i got up this morning my cories had red marks on there back and one had red on it's mouth, thinking it might of been my betta i moved the cories but now I'm sure it was the bulldog. Has anyone had problems like this and would the plec be able to mark and hurt my fish? Thanks

I haven't had experience with a bulldog pleco. I do know there are higher chances of certain plecos harming and even killing other fish. I only keep BN's because of my discus. Plecos (some) will attach themselves to the fish and suck on the slime coat. I have two plecos in with my Africans and have noticed they love meat! (Shrimp) Where the BN's (at least in my tank) prefer veggies! It wouldn't surprise me in the least if your pleco is in fact sucking on the cories.

I haven't had experience with a bulldog pleco. I do know there are higher chances of certain plecos harming and even killing other fish. I only keep BN's because of my discus. Plecos (some) will attach themselves to the fish and suck on the slime coat. I have two plecos in with my Africans and have noticed they love meat! (Shrimp) Where the BN's (at least in my tank) prefer veggies! It wouldn't surprise me in the least if your pleco is in fact sucking on the cories.

Definitely think it was him, sadly I'm going to re home him got to think of my other fish he's becoming far to aggressive. Thanks for your help

No worries. Sorry about your pleco. What do you feed him? Just thinking if he's sucking on the cories he's hungry?

No worries. Sorry about your pleco. What do you feed him? Just thinking if he's sucking on the cories he's hungry?

Thanks, he gets shrimp pellets, wafers, bloodworm and brine shrimp. He's well fed just keeps having a go at my cories. He jumps on there backs, just wasn't sure if he could harm them.

I have heard about this, but surprised it happened to your cories since they are so small and that they wouldn't be sleeping and would let the pleco do that. Do you have pics?

If it were my tank I would rehome him then. Sounds like he's going to be trouble in the long run. Possibilities high that he'll kill your cories.

I have heard about this, but surprised it happened to your cories since they are so small and that they wouldn't be sleeping and would let the pleco do that. Do you have pics?

Sorry don't have pics I, ll try and get one when he comes out. The plec is only 2 inches and my albinos aren't much smaller, he just leaps on them my cories try to get out the way. He did this with my 5 inch bnp as well that's why i removed him.

Hm..I'm not familiar with bulldog plecos. Maybe someone who does would know more. But that still isn't common I dont think by any means

If it were my tank I would rehome him then. Sounds like he's going to be trouble in the long run. Possibilities high that he'll kill your cories.

Taking him to my lfs tomorrow he's going in the display tank. I will be sad to see him go had him for 2 years he's just started this a few weeks ago. Thanks again

Hm..I'm not familiar with bulldog plecos. Maybe someone who does would know more. But that still isn't common I dont think by any means

The lady that runs my lfs has had the same problem with hers, they can become territorial it just depends on the fish.

What I've read so far states that bulldog plecos are supposed to be very peaceful. They like cucumber,squash as well. Have you tried slicing a cucumber lengthwise and adding it to your tank? Maybe he's lacking something in his diet and that's why he's going after the cories? Or maybe he's just a "bully-dog" sorry couldn't help myself.

What I've read so far states that bulldog plecos are supposed to be very peaceful. They like cucumber,squash as well. Have you tried slicing a cucumber lengthwise and adding it to your tank? Maybe he's lacking something in his diet and that's why he's going after the cories? Or maybe he's just a "bully-dog" sorry couldn't help myself.

Yep he loves cucumber and spinach. That's what I don't understand they are suppose to be peaceful, but when he was in my big tank he constantly harassed my bnp even shredding her dorsal fin don't know what's up with him. But that's funny lol my husband calls him Satan!

Yep he loves cucumber and spinach. That's what I don't understand they are suppose to be peaceful, but when he was in my big tank he constantly harassed my bnp even shredding her dorsal fin don't know what's up with him. But that's funny lol my husband calls him Satan!

Lol! Sounds like he's living up to his name. You'll have to tell hubby it's his fault and now he has to buy another tank to house his little Satan!

Lol! Sounds like he's living up to his name. You'll have to tell hubby it's his fault and now he has to buy another tank to house his little Satan!

I will lol I'm thinking of trying him back in my big tank and see how he is away from my cories. One last chance!

Keep an eye on your BN then. Didn't you say Satan tore her up already? That's why he was moved to begin with?

Keep an eye on your BN then. Didn't you say Satan tore her up already? That's why he was moved to begin with?

Yep your right just find it hard re homing fish! My hubby just said the same the best thing is to take him to my lfs tomorrow don't want my bnp getting hurt and my hubby said he's not going back in there! Thanks for your help :)

Lol! You're welcome. If its any consolation my hubby would flush ALL my fish if given the chance.

Back
Top Bottom