Bullseye!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Had a funny occurence last night. About 2:30 this morning I seen blue lights out the ying yang at one of my neighbors house. Turns out he was selling painkillers and the cops done a sting on him. After they hauled him out, his wife asked us to watch their daughter and we agreed. She asked me to check out these fish they have cuz she knows I'm the neighborhood fish guy now. Thank the lord the cops were still there because that moron had 4 bullseye snakeheads in his house. I seen'em and about passed out,one of the cops asked what was wrong and I said those fish are illegal need to be shot now. The lady asked why and I said they can get out and they can breathe air and they would harm their daughter or them. So now that guy is in some real deep doo-doo.

They would've only lasted through the summer. When winter rolls around the water hits the high 30's or low 40's. I think only the northern snakehead can live in that? The lady said he had had them for 5 years and they fed them raw meat and pickles. The rest of the neighbors wondered why gunshots were fired at 3am. They called twra and he said that guy is facing several thousand in fines and about 5years in jail. What he told all of us was they are so aggressive that literally nothing can hang with them.

I'm surprised they went a head a shot them (glad they did) I figured they would need to call someone, who would need to fill out a paper, then have it notarized...ect.

Smells very fishy to me...

Yep, the fish can pose a major problem as a invasive species in warmer states and plenty of laws in place already.
Voracious predators they may be, they are not the single handed ecosystem destroyers they are made out to be.

Yep, they're air breathers and able to move across land, BUT, they can only really move across land when it is VERY wet.
They must remain moist, particularly their breathing organ, or it is death in hours, not days.
• Yes, snakeheads can ‘breathe’ air and live out-of-water longer than most fish can, but suggestions that these fish can live without water for up to three days is a gross exaggeration.
• Yes, snakeheads can move through shallow water, swampy conditions, and even semi-fluid mud that would immobilize many native fishes. But on dry land they only flop, wriggle, and squirm their way along for short distances, after which they will die in a matter of hours, not days.
Natively, they move during monsoon season, imagine a couple inches of water dang near everywhere.

Escape artists, but if he's had'em for five years, sounds like he'd a strong tight cover on the tank so escape is probably not likely.
Even if they did, where they going? They can't open doors, they can't climb, they can barely flop around really, they would be die.
Now if the daughter is a baby, and crawled over and stuck'er hand in its mouth, she'd get bit... Break out the bandaids.

Aggressive and toothy lil btards, definitely don't dehook with your fingers.
You make them sound like a rabid venomous raccoon, that upon escape will hunt the small child and kill it... Major bull patties.
No such documented attacks by Bullseyes, just some unwary aquarists/anglers with relatively minor bites.
The only snakehead I know with a reputation for attacking people is the Giant Snakehead (up to 6' & 66lbs) in the wild when defending nests, and these are only Southeast Asian stories, no documented cases that I know of.

You've fallen prey to mass media hype and lies.
“Unfortunately, the public is reading, hearing, and seeing reports describing these fishes as ‘Frankenfish’ or the ‘fish from ****,’ said Paul Shafland, a fisheries scientist who has spent more than 30 years studying exotic fish at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s (FWC) Non-Native Fish Laboratory in Boca Raton. But Shafland urges the public to be skeptical about some of the things they have heard and read about these fishes, and most notably the Northern Snakehead.
According to some accounts “This alleged monster eats anything in its path, can walk on land, survive up to three days out of water, and will even attack and kill people when guarding its young!”
“That’s great story lines for Hollywood movies, but it is not accurate news” Shafland said.
No LEO is going to discharge their weapon in such a manner... Utter rubbish!
I'll say that without video or a news story linked... Your a liar.
Even venomous snakes, gators and confined dangerous animals are handled by animal control.
Not arbitrarily shot by police because someone says they're water bound Cujos.
Dangerous critter posing immediate threat, yes, fish in a tank, no.

Give me undoubted proof the police shot these fish on location and I will graciously apologize for calling you a liar.

People, please deal with facts from professionals, not internetz stories, media hype and the last episode of River Monsters. :rolleyes:
Great debunking of this kind'a crud by the pros, here, Scientists Challenge Snakehead Myths

I said it could do harm. Of course the first thing that everyone does when something happens is grab the video camera and record what's going on. That's fine if you don't believe me, I'm just saying, why on earth would someone want to keep something like that(with or without a child.) BTW, when a childs well-being is at stake, and I can do something about it, I will.

I said it could do harm, not bite the childs head off and wash it down with a bottle of whisky and then laugh at her parents. Of course the first thing that everyone does when something happens is grab the video camera and record what's going on. That's fine if you don't believe me, I'm just saying, why on earth would someone want to keep something like that(with or without a child.) BTW, when a childs well-being is at stake, and I can do something about it, I will.
Point of fact, you said "... they would harm their daughter or them...."
And along with the rest of your shrill alarmism... Well?

I still say your a liar about the police arbitrarily shooting them... They'd obviously tried to take out a couple of officers before getting taken alive.
Or do you now wish to change the story and claim that you meant the gunshots were actually the neighbor and the police exchanging gunfire?

I said it could do harm, not bite the childs head off and wash it down with a bottle of whisky and then laugh at her parents. Of course the first thing that everyone does when something happens is grab the video camera and record what's going on. That's fine if you don't believe me, I'm just saying, why on earth would someone want to keep something like that(with or without a child.) BTW, when a childs well-being is at stake, and I can do something about it, I will.

I whole heartedly agree. As much as I love animals, children are more important than fish. And I am glad you did something about it. Sounds like they were dealing drugs around the poor girl too. I believe you, and I would do everything I could to protect my son as well. That is what us responsible people do, we protect our children.

Either way bad fish be-gone!
There are no 'bad fish', just irresponsible importers/retailers and fish keepers.
Do not blame the fish, they're as God made them.

I fully agree that everyone needs to protect their and other's children, and that the father in this household was a scumbag drug dealer.
But the paranoia in the OPs post, pertaining to the fish was/is ridiculous.
And the claim that the police shot the fish... Phu'lease!

Mess with my kidz, or your kidz ... Any kidz...

img_1115074_0_d2d0ea5b04094c3028940ead0bcce2d5.jpg

...and you'll get this bull by the horns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, the cops grabbed the fish with a noose lookin' thing, took them outside and shot them,then the guy from TWRA took and disposed of them or put them in a lab,I don't know. End of story. The biggest one may have been about 20inches in length and that's pushing it.

I did say it would harm them, not mindlessly wound them for entertainment.

It's cool if you don't believe me, I don't care. Better safe than sorry. The fish re the way they are, but someone dumb enough to keep something like that(especially with a kid around)is an idiot.

Better safe than sorry. The fish re the way they are, but someone dumb enough to keep something like that(especially with a kid around)is an idiot.
Dogs are much more dangerous, people keep dogs around kids... Loose even... freely roaming the house, property or even neighborhoods, and a dogs bite/attack is MUCH worse. Are they all dumb idiots?

The Snakehead paranoia is assinine.

What I don't understand is why someone would even want to keep those fish. It isn't fair to them either, to be held in captivity like that. What size tank were they in? Was it even big enough? I feel bad for the fish and the kid and I am glad that guy is paying for his ignorance.

What I don't understand is why someone would even want to keep those fish.

It isn't fair to them either, to be held in captivity like that.

What size tank were they in? Was it even big enough? I feel bad for the fish and the kid and I am glad that guy is paying for his ignorance.
Go ask that question at MonsterFishkeepers, WaterWolves or even of those whom keep large aggressive cichlids?
I've been asked that of my Oscar. Why? Because he is beautiful, intelligent (as are most predators), he is big & impressive and I like the fact that he is a aggressive predator. I have people that think he is HUGE and that his 75gal is either so big as to be a paradise, on the other hand even I think its a bit cramped for him.
But I'm just working the wife for 150gal+.

A lot of animal rights folks say NO critters should be kept, not even YOUR fish, no matter how well kept.

ChileRelleno, you've got some beautiful kids! look at those blue eyes! i agree about the no "bad fish" thing. i mean, they didn't asked to be caught and thrown in a tank. they're supposed to be in the wild and doing their thing in nature where they won't even get a chance to harm someone if that is what they'd do. i also don't believe the cops just grabbing the fish and shooting them when they weren't posing an immediate threat. where was animal control? not meaning to be offensive or anyhting, kdogg85, it just doesn't seem right to me. either way, that whole situation is messed up! what a night

True, when put on the spot people do crazy things. I was just about berzerk when I seen those fish.Yes, dogs can be dangerous,just like people, some are easy going, some are insane. BTW guns don't kill people, people kill people. I went back and deleted a line. Kids read these posts too and don't need to read that kind of stuff. I'm sure I'll have a remark posted about that. And if saying that a superior predator doesn't have anything in it's new habitat that can hang with it is paranoia, then I need to re-evaluate my definition of predatory animals.

I just wanted to share an event, not ruffle anyone's feathers and get an argument started.

I just saw Snakehead Terror on USA yesterday. Someone was dumping Human growth hormone in the lake to boost the economy. the 8' snakeheads ate everybody.

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

And if saying that a superior predator doesn't have anything in it's new habitat that can hang with it is paranoia, then I need to re-evaluate my definition of predatory animals.
You're indeed paranoid, these are not as bad as you've been propagandized to think they're.
Snakehead Myths Challenged
Paul Shafland
Dr. Walter Courtenay
Jon Fury
Dr. Jeffrey Hill

All four of these experienced scientists emphasized that Florida and the rest of the United States has a serious and continuing problem with illegally introduced freshwater exotic fishes.
But, after more than a hundred years of collective professional experience, Courtenay, Fury, Hill, and Shafland all agree that while there is a big need to educate the public about these fishes, there is no need to sensationalize or exaggerate their effect, especially in the manner that has become so commonly associated with Asian snakeheads.

“Let me assure you that the discovery of the Bullseye Snakehead in Florida waters is not something to dismiss lightly,” Fury said. “In some cases, the presence of an exotic species can alter the ecosystem to the detriment of native species.”

“In such cases as this, we follow our well-established protocol for dealing with these matters rather than running about shouting: ‘The sky is falling! The sky is falling!’”
Shafland said. “And this is not the first time that an exotic fish has stimulated such an end-of-the-ecosystem-as-we-know-it type of hysteria; in fact, it is very reminiscent of the same distorted coverage the Walking Catfish received back in the late 1960s and 70s.”

“Now we know that all the gloom and doom predictions about the Walking Catfish in 60s and 70s were unfounded,” Courtenay said. “Do we still have Walking Catfish in Florida? Yes. Are they a problem? Yes, but their documented negative impact on native freshwater species has been negligible compared to the catastrophe they were projected to be in media accounts.”
“These stories never seem to die; they just seem to lie dormant until a new species is reported that has an especially unusual appearance, behavior, and/or even just a strange name” Hill said. A few years ago similar stories surfaced about the Asian Swamp Eel that generated similar concerns by the public.

The real story here is that numerous unwanted exotic animals continue to be released into North America and elsewhere by well-meaning but misinformed individuals. Not only is this illegal, it is ecologically irresponsible, and often harmful to the animal itself.

• Yes, snakeheads are predators with small sharp teeth that are very similar to the native Bowfin but, NO, it is not some finned tiger waiting to pounce upon every living thing, nor is it able to single-handedly wipe out native fish communities.

Well then paranoid I shall be. Satisfied now? Pretty bad to get run out of my own thread huh?

Back
Top Bottom