Bully Guppy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarleeWade

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone! (posted this in other thread but realized the thread was old)
Me and my boyfriend are brand new to this! I'll kinda give my story then I'll explain my problem.
Last week we bought a 10 gallon tank starter kit. We set it all up did some research then went to the pet store the next day to get some fish. The first two fish we got were 2 reg wag platys. These two fish were great and seemed nice and happy in our tank. A week later (today) we decided to go back to the pet store to add a few more fish. Our normal knowledgeable guy was really busy that day so we didn't get a chance to pick his brain and see what type of fish we should add to our tank. We ended up picking 2 neon tetras and 2 guppies (i cant recall what kind). We get home and add the fish to the fish tank and everything seems fine. We watched and as the night went on the one guppy would not leave the 2 red wag platys alone! At first it was just chasing but then progressed to actually nipping both of the fish (it didn't seem to target just one). As I read some articles on the internet nothing really helped clear it up because I'm not sure the sex of my fish! So for now we have isolated the one mean guppy in another small fish bowl until we can return him tomorrow. What I need to know is 1) should i put the two guppies together in the other bowl so they aren't lonely and 2) If we return the one guppy should we just return both? Will the other guppy be too lonely by himself. Because by the sounds of it guppies are kind of a pain in the but. I'd like to avoid them all together now. Since we are beginners we only want peaceful fish!
Sorry for my long paragraph! Thanks for your help!
- Carlee :fish2:

Well if you want to stay away from guppies I would return both then... I take it you are doing a Fishin cycle. Have you been testing your water? It is also best to have at least 5 tetras together so I would grab a few more of them....

Ok, first take the guppies back. Then buy a testing kit (API master freshwater). You need the read about cycling a tank. Great article on the home page. " how to start a freshwater aquarium". I would not add more tetras or any other fish until after the tank is cycled.

Guppies are great fish. Mine are a ton of fun! However, males tend to try to mate with anything. Did you have males? And female platies?

I would suspect it was the male guppy trying its best to "get with" the platy(s). Mine used to try and mate with everything and anything. If you bought a tank, did research, then put fish in the next day you're not cycled, so follow others advice and read up on fish in cycling and do a water change every day until you're cycled, or you can take all your fish back and do a fish less cycle, and while you're at the store ask your "knowledgeable" sales person why he didn't tell you about cycling a tank correctly

Back
Top Bottom