Bully or fin rott

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I have a bully in my tank. A little back ground I have a 75 gallon and have 4 angels small 2 silver dollars same size as angels about 2" 2 clown loaches about 2 inches and a common pleco about 3" Ive had the angels and pleco for about 3mo the clown loaches for about 2mo and the silver dollars for about 2 weeks. All has been verry peacefull except for about 2 days ago I caught my 2 marble angels fighting for about 15 seconds neither one backed down and it just stoped. Well today I get home and one of the silver dollars have the middle section of the top fin gone both marbles are missing the tip of the top fin and my blue angels top fin has a tear and fold at the top fin. The zebra angel both clown loaches and the pleco are fine. I dont think its rott because i did not notice this before i left for work and 8 hours later this is what i find. I have never seen any fin niping before just a little chasing here and there besides the 2 angels for dominance. Any thoughts??

It sounds like your angels are establishing dominance. What is their size? Not to knock your stock but I'd get about three more loaches. They do much better in groups of at least five.

Sorry just noticed you said two inches.
I was think about that but Im thinking about size verses space when when all these guys start to reach maximum size. The lfs that I gat them at had some in the 9 to 10" range and my pleco has doubled in size. Im thinking a second tank in the future. And I was thinking the same on the angels here is a video of the fight Angelssparring07302012 - YouTube

Yea I'm really thinking dominance. If it were pairing it would be only two Angels. Those are some pretty Angels by the way. Clown loaches do get big. 9 to 10 inches in the home aquaria. But to reach those lengths it takes several years. I think bing lonely would be more severe then possibly growing to be too big. Besides a 75 is 18 inches wide. They would have plenty of room. I keep 5 in a 90. Plus it's another great reason to upgrade. It's win win to me. Lol

Thanks Somethingsfishy
I will look in to getting 3 more. They are a blast to watch when they are chasing each other. And on the niped fins im wondering if the angels were all doing this and the silver dollar just got in the way. Ill keep an eye on them and see if it gets worse or not.

Back
Top Bottom