Bumblebee Catfish (SA): jumpers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up a couple South American Bumblebee Catfish today. Ive been wanting them for a while now and am pretty excited.

Right now they are still in their baggy adjusting to the tank temperature. One (or possibly both) keep jumping out of the water. Luckily the bag is closed, but it brings up a possible issue for me. I dont have covers on any of my tanks.
Nothing that Ive read/researched mentioned them being known jumpers. Is this going to be a problem or is he/she just a little stir crazy inside the bag? In the past, fish I've brought home are typically a bit inactive inside the bag, but I suppose there's a first time for everything.
As long as they don't jump out once they're acclimated, then I think we'll be ok.

Im mainly looking for advice from folks that have experience with this fish.
:thanks:

Hi there,

Live the bumblebee cats, they are lovely little fish, but they love hiding and burying themselves in the substrate. I think they'll just be darting to the surface for a lung full of air and overshooting it slightly. Shouldn't be an issue with a lidless tank. I don't think....

Cool. Thanks for the response.
They seemed to have calmed down once I got them out of the bag and into the little plastic acclimation box thing.

Maybe there was just something about the conditions in the bag that weren't quite right. They were only in there for around 15 minutes and the jumping didn't start until I placed the bag in the water.
Im going to just pretend they saw their new home and couldn't wait to get in. :lol:

Ive got a little cover on the acclimation box... just in case.

Yup I've never seen mine even go near the top of my tank even at night. They are very awesome cats though.

Back
Top Bottom