Bumblebee Goby Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got two for my 75g info in my sig, what are you experiences with these critters? what should I know.

I have heard that they prefer live food over flake or pellet food. I noticed that when I got mine, they did not eat for a couple of days(flake or pellet). I then went out and bought some frozen brine shrimp and started feeding everyone in the tank a cube a day and they started to eat that. I have tried bloodworms but I think they are too big for them, as they do not tear them up as much as the brine shrimp IMO.

I have also read that they prefer slight brackish conditions, but I have also found some that have great success without the salt. Since I am heavily planted, I do not use salt.

HTH :lol:

I really dont want to just feed my fish all day frozen foods, so i will see in a few days what happens if not I will take them back. i do feed my plecos and yoyos etc shrimp pellets every day or shrimp wafers etc.

I have never seen them adapt to pellet or flake food. The will simply starve to death. Frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms fed in a current (so they look alive) are well taken, but nothing less.

I have had dozens of these guys over the years and always wondered why they died on me. Going frozen food over the past few months, not only are they happy, they have spawned at least once in my tank! full FW, densely planted.

HTH

I've a group of five of these, quite large actually for their normal max. size (they're around 2", whereas literature says 1.5" or so max, so mine are obviously at the top end).

I keep them in freshwater, purely because the Gobiioid Research Institute has articles explaining the amphridromous nature of the goby family (migratory, from FW to brackish). They're perfectly fine in FW and I've had them some time.

They didn't accept flake food at first: I fed frozen brineshrimp but their favourite is frozen bloodworm. However, they will peck at prepared foods now, so they get a good variety of stuff.

Very lovely little fish, best of luck with them! :)

I've rarely had them take anything but frozen foods. When I first got a pair of them, they ate flake food a few times, but other than that they refused it altogether. Frozen brine, worms or nightcrawlers (chopped and rinsed), small frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis, blackworms, etc. were all taken.

And yes, the brackish/freshwater thing about BB's is in debate. What most people don't get is that there aren't just one type, but many different variants. Some like somewhat different water conditions then others- while one likes soft water, another likes high end brackish water etc. While most people keep them in freshwater, it's best to start them in low end brackish to begin with. Most come from areas that switch salinity levels quite readily throughout the day, so a really low sg level may be of benefit.

Good luck with them! I think I may start up a ten gallon in a few weeks for a few pairs of them, hopefully this time they'll go all the way and breed.

They're great when they breed: males sitting on a clutch of eggs he's guarding inside plantpot filled with eggs is a bizarre sight to see :)

You're also absolutely right about BBG species: there are doriae and xanthozonus for starters, but also another I can't recall right now. I've only ever kept these two.

they are the only ones i need to feed frozen foods everyday? and if so how much just for the two guys?

Back
Top Bottom