Bunch of questions: stock, water flow, temp, plants, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
First the basics
1. Tank size: 75g standard
2. Current filtration: eheim 2217 canister filter (rated for 160g, 264gph)
3. Type of substrate: gravel on one side, sand on the other
4. pH of your water: ?
5. What type of fish you like the most: colorful.
6. Waterflow: canister (264gph)+ maxijet 1500 (294gph)=558 gph total

I've been doing saltwater for quite a few years, and now I'd like to set up a freshwater tank. I would like to do a couple plants, but nothing I would need extra equipment or a bunch of time for.

Questions
1. What would be some good stock? I prefer medium size, colorful fish, but not too expensive. A few different species would be nice as well. I like variety. A school would be pretty cool as well.

2. What is a good temp and pH to go with the stock you would recommend?

3. What is the recommended waterflow for freshwater? I can add another maxijet if needed.

3. What are some good plants that require little care? I can either do metal halides 2x175 or normal output shop lights.

4. Driftwood, yes or no? It discolors the water but it does look pretty cool.

Thanks! I really appreciate any advice.

1. African Cichlids are my favorite. They grow to a decent size (3 to 4 inches for small Mbunas) and are very colorful. But if you are looking along the lines of smaller fish (2 inches and under), there are several Tetras or Gouramis. Even Angels. Check out some pics online and let us know what interests you.
2. That depends. Are you going to be keeping tropicals? If so, 76 to 80 is a good temp. Don't worry about the pH. As long as it is stable, it doesn't matter the number (given that it is not really low or really high).
3. I have heard that Anacharis is impossible to kill but I have managed to do it. lol You may want to try posting in the Planted Forum.
4. I like the look of driftwood. Not all types discolor the water. None of mine do. I have a big piece of Malaysian driftwood in the 55 and misc other pieces in the 29 and 10. They are neither one stained.

Back
Top Bottom