Buncha Betta questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilverBlaze85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys!

So, we set up and cycled a 3 gallon for our new betta. Everything is set to 0, we have 2 live plants and 2 silk plants in there, a heater set to 70, and a tiny filter (not 100% sure what the filter is, it came with the tank. Uses tetra mini filters. I liked it for the low current effect). We don't currently know WHAT the betta is... We snagged one of the "baby boy" bettas that Petco sells. I'll try to attach a picture. He's about a half-inch long.

I've tried ghost shrimp in the past with my tanks for clean up, but they always die pretty quick. I've only ever had a male betta by himself once.... Usually i put them in my community tank, so there's plenty of friends to clean up.

How often do you think this tank is currently going to need changed/cleaned? Would you recommend any particular shrimp/snail for clean up? There's currently black sand as the substrate... Any "hides" for a betta that might work well? (All i was finding was pretty rough castles and skulls and such.)

Attachments

• 15622592844427253206989330074619.jpg
    15622592844427253206989330074619.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 35
3 gallons is a little small for betta but can work as long as you keep up on maintance. I prefer 10 gallon tanks as they give more then enough room. Since this is a 3 gallon daily or every other day do a 50% water change. I like ramshorn snails but many don't because if you give them enough food sources they will multiply like crazy. Shrimp are probably a no go since the betta more then likely will eat them or just kill them.

3 gallons is a little small for betta but can work as long as you keep up on maintance. I prefer 10 gallon tanks as they give more then enough room. Since this is a 3 gallon daily or every other day do a 50% water change. I like ramshorn snails but many don't because if you give them enough food sources they will multiply like crazy. Shrimp are probably a no go since the betta more then likely will eat them or just kill them.
We're moving in October, and he'll likely go into a 10 gallon then, until we get our 100 gallon set up, then he'll go in THERE. We just figured since he was so tiny, and it was only for a few months, that a 3 gallon could work.

The snail would pretty much only be the few pieces the betta doesn't eat, tiny amounts of algae, and the plant. Would that cause mass reproduction?

You should be fine keeping him in 3 gallons for that time. As for the snails it would really depend on how much food is available but it being only a 3 gallon and as long as you aren't overfeeding the betta then they shouldn't go crazy. If you are seeing any food the betta doesn't eat then reduce feeding just a bit or use a pipet and suck it out.

I would keep the tank at 80 degrees not 70. IMO, A 3 gallon is fine to keep a betta in long term. I've done it for nearly a decade and they've always lived a full life. 50% water changes once a week if it's cycled. Only feed 4-5 betta pellets once a day or 3 betta pellets twice a day.

If you add a snail for clean up, add a Nerite snail. They don't reproduce in freshwater and one will keep your tank clean. You can put the snail in a larger tank then move him over to your 3 gallon whenever you need it cleaned up.

Floating log they seem to like.

Back
Top Bottom