Burned driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
My friend was boiling driftwood and apparently burned it? It's dark brown and has brown residue coming off of it. She is currently soaking it in a bucket of water. Is it still safe to use in the tank?

I can't see why not. However it will give off a very unattractive color. I would soak it until the worst of the color came out.

Boiled it at too high of a temperature, I'm guessing. Or too long.

Too long so that the water evaporated and the wood was left in contact with the pan would be my guess, water boils at 100C and even if you add salt it will only go up a few degrees, that is not high enough to burn wood.

Is it the whole piece that's burnt? if it is and it is not too big maybe scrubbing can help get the burnt "flakes" off :confused:

I'm staring a new tank and bought some driftwood a couple weeks ago. I boiled it and it turned black too. You didn't burn it. As you keep soaking it and replacing the water in the bucket, it will get lighter. If you let it dry a little, you'll see that the wood isn't as dark as you think.

Currently I'm trying to leach out all those dark tannins by soaking my driftwood in water and food grade lye. Since tannins are tannic acid and lye is alkaline, it will neutralize the acids faster. At least, that's my hope. I haven't found anyone else who's tried this, so it's an experiment.

I don't think so. I would be carrying all kinds of stuff, so you should boil that definitely as a preventive sort of thing. Or at least, that's just what I would think. After some of these threads about bugs in their tanks... I'm scared to death about introducing things into my tanks. haha

You really can't burn it while it's in water. Some driftwood darkens when it gets waterlogged, so that's probably all that happened. The brown residue coming off would be tannins and organic matter. It's perfectly fine to add it to your aquarium.

--Adeeb

is it ok to put some drift wood from a lake in your tank or were should i get it from ?

People disagree on this. Ultimately, driftwood comes from nature so whether you get it from a pet store or a lake it's the pretty much the same as long as you boil and soak it. I just find it easier to go to a store. There are also fake pieces of driftwood, but they rarely look as good as the real stuff.

Back
Top Bottom