Bushy nosed pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought an albino, longfined bushynose pleco about 2 years ago. It currently resides in my 55 gallon aquarium with another, regular colored bushynose pleco. The regular colored one is always hiding and I never see him, but he does have a TON of bristles. They were both tiny when I got them at about the same time. The albino one has absolutely no bristles. They're about the same size though. I'm worried for two reasons. 1. no bristles. So maybe the fish isn't what I thought? and second, the albino one seems very skinny. The aquarium is very lightly stocked. I have a few loaches (dojo, horseface, kuhli and a couple other small varieties) 4 gold barbs (the small ones), a pleco and a few corydoras catfish. All the fish have been in there for over a year. The tank is heavily planted. I feed shrimp pellets, algae pellets, sometimes some carnivore pellets I had for a catfish that died, and some flake food. Is it normal for a "bushy nosed pleco" to not have bristles? And if it is skinny, what can I give it that it will like? I don't have a working camera at the moment, but do have a picture of when it was a baby. Although I doubt it will be much help. The water conditions are fine. I do regular partial water changes and test the water weekly. Nothing of that nature has changed in the past two years. There is also a small piece of driftwood that I see the fish on occasionally. It isn't showing any signs of being sick, and acts healthy and moves around like it always has.

img_1071713_0_a801955b76aa08a6091800ba7eb1b9ae.jpg

I realize too that the plant it is on isn't aquatic :) I figured that out pretty quick. That's the best picture i have. That was when he was a baby too - so is only a reference of what type of fish it is perhaps? Any help would be appreciated :)

LOL, Yeah, females very rarely have whiskers of any sizeable length. Males have the whiskers! Nothing is wrong with your fish as far as not having bristles.

She is very pretty you might try to give them some blanched broccoli I know my bristlenose love it.

Turns out - it is a female bushynose.. and she's actually quite healthy... I found two babies this morning!!!

Back
Top Bottom