buying a used tank with stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a freind who is going to sell me her ex's hexagon tank with stand for 50$ she thinks it is at least 30 gallons. My question is is that a good deal and how do i go about cleaning it.

Tess :roll:

Hex tanks are more expensive than plain tanks--that's a good deal. You can disinfect it with a very dilute bleach solution and make sure to rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse some more :D

I'd check it out first,but yeah it sounds like a great deal.
If she's not used to estimating volume she is probably way off in either direction....or as luck would have it right on....I would think if it came with its own wooden stand its 30 or larger.

When I cleaned my new used hex I just semi filled it and went to work.I liked my result so I didn't do it twice.
Just water and elbow grease.

HTH..and keep us posted.

i am just so excited this will be my second tank i have a 10 gallon tank that is doing well now thinks to the people on this bored. I am not sure what i will put in it yet, I rally like tropical fish. Are hex tanks harder to keep clean because they are deeper. Also do ya'll know anyway to convert my husband into liking the tanks, he hates my fish tanks.

Tess

mom2reds said:
i am just so excited this will be my second tank i have a 10 gallon tank that is doing well now thinks to the people on this bored. I am not sure what i will put in it yet, I rally like tropical fish. Are hex tanks harder to keep clean because they are deeper. Also do ya'll know anyway to convert my husband into liking the tanks, he hates my fish tanks.

Tess

They arent really harder to keep clean. It will be easier to take care of than your 10 gallon. But it doenst have alot of surface to air contact. Do this for your husband. Have him design what tank he wants and which fish go in there. That helped me convince my wife... something about a man "building" something just makes us feel good :)

is there somthing i need to do about the surface air contact . I have a bubble wand in my 10 gal. tank.

Tess

There is less surface area in a hex compared to the same gallon regular tank, but your filter should provide enough aeration. You will be a bit more limited in what fish can go in the hex due to the decreased swimming and surface area.

Here's Mine

This is my tank from about a week ago (those plants are growing FAST).
It's a 30gal Hex and a lot of fun. Just think vertically when you design what's going in it. Tall things that won't block the light, for instance. Those things will also make it interesting higher up in the water column so fish won't spend all their time down near the bottom.

I've thought that one with a tall castle in the middle would look cool.

Attachments

• fishtanksmall_655.jpg
    fishtanksmall_655.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 29
DocOC that is a beautiful tank . what kind of plants do you have in it? I am wanting to due a community tank with swimmers at all levels. I think i would like to have some kind of bubble feature in it.(My 3 boys like the bubbles)

Tess

mom2reds said:
DocOC that is a beautiful tank . what kind of plants do you have in it? I am wanting to due a community tank with swimmers at all levels. I think i would like to have some kind of bubble feature in it.(My 3 boys like the bubbles)

Tess

It looks like some hornwort in the back.

Some high growing crypts and hornwort would be phenominal for a hex tank, as they both grow UP and not out. Angels are another great suggestion.
These are the hints you need to be saying, but like I said.... have your husband plan out which fish are compatible, how much light, etc.

mom2reds said:
what kind of plants do you have in it?

To be honest, I'm not sure. I haven't been too good about keeping track of names. I just find what looks good in my LFS and grab it. I do know that I have Java Ferns in the back tied to that piece of drift wood.

Bubbles are fun. My advice would be to choose carefully and make sure you turn down the air flow with a valve. I say this because they can eject large, somewhat loud bubbles depending on what you choose.

I saw a cool underwater "air river" at my LFS. It was a little gaudy, but a fun design.

Back
Top Bottom