Buying Carbon Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenback

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I need recommendations on how get activated carbon cheaply. Is buying it in bulk the best way? If so, what brand/size do you buy? Or can I find activated carbon at a non-aquarium store and really save big? For example I use quilt batting from Joanne's fabric store. I have a Fluvall.

Thanks All!

Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I need recommendations on how get activated carbon cheaply. Is buying it in bulk the best way? If so, what brand/size do you buy? Or can I find activated carbon at a non-aquarium store and really save big? For example I use quilt batting from Joanne's fabric store. I have a Fluvall.

Thanks All!

Not sure where to get it from but I buy in bulk at my local fish store.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've purchased it from Dr. Foster's and Smith when they were having a 20% off and free shipping sale. If you sign up to receive their e-mails, keep an eye out for their sales and I've found it's the cheapest.

Thanks for the replies, I will definitely check out the site for sales ( really like saving money)

I found the average price for activated carbon on Amazon to be around 8-10$ per Lb. Some pond supply places are a little lower.

Thanks for the replies, I will definitely check out the site for sales ( really like saving money)

I found the average price for activated carbon on Amazon to be around 8-10$ per Lb. Some pond supply places are a little lower.

Here's the link for the site I was referring to: Aquarium Chemical Filtration: Foster and Smith Premium Pelleted Carbon

It's actually on sale now at 4.3L for $17.49. Not sure what that works out to per pound. Based on the Q&A the 4.3L bag is about 5 lbs so it would be about $3.50 a pound. (y)

Back
Top Bottom