Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Buying fish online

Which online store has the best reputation and is good at classifying genders of fish

Old 10-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its not so much the breeder you have to worry about, its the couriers, they tend to be rough with the packages. Even though the packages are clearly marked "live animals/fish" they still get thrown about.

Watching a fish unboxing online and one of the bags had popped due to the courier not reading what was clearly written. This not a fish but 3 years back I bought a snake from a breeder and sent via TNT 24 hour courier. Got it the next morning, box was battered and huge hole in the box and could see some pressure was put on the box. The snake was freezing but thankfully alive.

So you can risk it but personally I'd rather either pick them up or go to a good fish store.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've shipped fish many many times, and if you pack the box correctly, 99% of the time you aren't going to have any trouble. Occasionally courier screw-ups happen but they aren't that frequent IME.

If you have a fish club in your area, that's a good place to start looking. You'll likely find higher quality and cheaper fish than what you would find in most stores.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I just got assasin snails in about an hour ago and they look great. After seeing how well these guys were packed I have to say I think that plays a big part in the condition that they are in when you get them.
As far as having them sexed I think that has a lot to do with the type fish. Some are easy some are much harder to tell. What type of fish are you wanting to buy that might help us answer you question better.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
Well I just got assasin snails in about an hour ago and they look great. After seeing how well these guys were packed I have to say I think that plays a big part in the condition that they are in when you get them. As far as having them sexed I think that has a lot to do with the type fish. Some are easy some are much harder to tell. What type of fish are you wanting to buy that might help us answer you question better.
Malawi lake cichlids. Demasoni's and yellow electric

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com