Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2005, 03:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
buying live blackworms in hawaii

i emailed aquaticfoods.com and asked how much a 1/2lb of blackworms would cost with the extra shipping fees and they told me that they only ship within the mainland US. does anyone know of any other online sources that sell blackworms and ship to hawaii? TIA

Felf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wish I could help you Felf but I get mine shipped from aquaticfoods.com

Old 10-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

np unless someone can order them for me then send it from their place? i looked online and all the other sources for live blackworms are waaaaaaaaay too expensive because they're all from lab supply companies/distributors. i also read in another forum where Dan from aquaticfoods said that there're too many risks, it's too costly, and the survival rate might be as low as 70% but he also told the same person that if they wanted to they could go for it (the guy was from hawaii too). i wouldnt mind paying more as long as it's cheaper than the $4/ounce i pay at one lfs that actually has them (which is rediculous) plus i've read and heard that the person who's growing them locally feeds them chicken manure; knowing that a large number of people have chickens as pets in hawaii, its hard not to think that it's untreated manure...if Dan was a member of this forum, it'd make things a lot easier :|
Old 10-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I suppose my main question is this Felf.............why is it so important to feed live blackworms? I buy them in bulk because I've 50 discus. The truth is, there are many foods I could feed which are just as high in protein.

Dan is a very good guy. If you explained your situation I think he would make the shipment. I would do it for you but flying worms from California to NY, then back to Hawaii seems like more than they could handle. JMO
Old 10-06-2005, 03:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it's important because there are so many things (including live food) that cannot be shipped here/arent available. i have dwarf puffers and unlike many other puffers mine were raised on live brine and not frozen bloodworms. i've tried all the techniques to try to get them to eat 6 different types of frozen food but they will still only eat live food such as brine or blackworms. i'm not gonna feed brine as a staple and blackworms are the easy to keep, affordable, and everyone agrees that they're worth every penny. as i said earlier my lfs charges $4/ounce so 1/2lb is already $32 whereas at aquaticfoods they're $17 for 1/2lb (not including the extra fees that would be added on if sent here) would shipping really cost me an extra $15 from cali? if so, i'll shut up and stop irritating everyone. btw thank you for your consideration brian .
Old 10-06-2005, 08:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whoa there Felf. Whoever told you to shut up and what makes you think you're irritating anyone? This forum is here to impart information and help anyone who has a love of aquariums.

I was merely wondering why going through the expense and hassle of shipping live worms was so important to you. I've no experience with puffers. After reading your explanation, I now understand your need very well.

I venture that I'm a pretty good customer of Dan. I buy a pound every month and he knows me quite well. If you PM me with your name and address, I'll email him and intercede on your behalf and ask him to make a shipment to HI. I'm just guessing that a special request from a very good customer might carry some weight with him.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

there may be legal reasons retailers can't ship to HI.

Environmental laws in HI are rather strict, aren't they? There is probably an import ban of live animals not native to HI. It's just an assumption, but I think I remember another HI SW member a while back discussing a similar frustration.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

That makes sense Billy. Thanks for the input. My question then is how does an lfs in HI get them?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNY
That makes sense Billy. Thanks for the input. My question then is how does an lfs in HI get them?
My guess, they spent a ton to get an initial supply, and then breed them in-house to resell...hence the higher overall cost compare to the mainland.

Just a theory, but a reasonable one
Old 10-06-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i've been conversing with Dan through email and this is what he said in the last email

"Jennifer should have explained that our shipping is 2-day, they need to be
delivered by next day. I'm sure the worms that you receive if they are Blackworms
are ours as we supply the wholesalers who ship to HI via airlines out of LAX.

Dan"

i've just been getting irritated with the whole situation because initially they couldnt give me a yes or no answer on whether or not i could order them, i guess it's because that "Jennifer" person was the one doing to talking at first. even if i end up paying just as much or a little more than the price of my lfs (with shipping) i would still feel comfortable knowing that the worms wouldnt pass through the hands of the careless workers. although some of them are quite knowledgeable, most of them are students just trying to make a buck. i know for that at least awhile(maybe still) the local supply was coming from a guy that bred them in pans with a drip system and chicken manure but i didnt like the sound of that since fresh untreated chicken manure is so easy to come by around here. thank you for chiming in everyone. i know you all agree with me when i say that i only want the best for my fish. it's hard to accept hearing that you cannot or it's not feasable to get the best item in your mind after doing months of searching.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

YAY!

"Hi Brad
I can sell and ship to you, the thing is FedEx would be two days
where as they need to be delivered next day.
I can pack them to last longer and you could pick up at FedEx which
means they might be late next day. I just could not guarantee them
as FedEx might take two days.
The cost for 1/2-lb would be close to 40.00 and 50.00 for 1-lb
This would have to be your call.

Dan"

i know it's expensive but it's a lot better than going to my lfs. thank you everyone.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:53 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm happy for you Brad. I find it easier and more economical to buy them in bulk. They will keep for weeks if given the right conditions.

Rinse them well as soon as you unpack them. I keep a few gallons of aged refrigerated water at all times for daily rinsing. Keep them as cold as possible in a shallow tray. Mine are refrigerated.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

mine actually multiplied(slowly) in a regular 5gal with 1" of sand and a sponge filter but i was only doing it that way because those worms would freak everyone out if they were in the refrigerator oh and the cost made me want to try to culture them. someday when i get my own home, i'll culture them in a very large storage bin and hopefully have a self-sustaining supply
Old 10-08-2005, 06:50 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's an article on culturing blackworms Felf.

http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/faculty/...ocs/LVCULT.htm
Old 10-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol i tried that one out already and the paper bags break down too quickly plus make it hard to harvest worms. burlap works much better than paper bags but sand works the best. the worms dig themselves into the sand and sway like blades of grass. when i put food in there they come out and converge on it then go back into the sand plus harvesting them is really easy with sand. i use a turkey baster and suck at a random spot of sand, then i hold the baster in the water but close to the surface, i let the excess sand fall out until there're only worms left in the baster, then i rinse and feed them my fish
Old 10-13-2005, 01:14 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well i purchased 1lb for $50 shipped overnight fedex and they came in today. i only see 1 tsp of dead worms w00t! kudos to aquaticfoods because even though Dan couldnt guarantee them, they still arrived in excellent condition.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:01 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Fantastic news!!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, Dan is the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Tags
live

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com