Buying Tropical Fish Online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsongy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I am in the middle of cycling my 29 Gallon freshwater tank and I was wondering if buying fish online is a good idea. Is buying fish online better than getting whatever is in the tanks at your LFS? If so, where is the best place to buy fish online.

Thanks!

Gerald

I buy most of my fish online. That way I get what I want. Nothing wrong with buying from a local sture if they have what you want and the stock looks good.

I buy from aquabid, and I have bought from the good Doctors.

The Good Doctors meaning Dr Foster and Smith?

How often do the fish come dead or die as the result of shipping live fish? Do you have to return the dead fish or do they return your money in good faith?

Gerald

That would be Drs Foster and Smith.

As far as the DOA and refunds that varies from retailer to retailer. A good one will have minimal to no losses. Make sure to read their policies before ordering, to ensure that you are comfortable with them. If not, find someone else to buy from.

I have had very few DOAs. I have actually lost more fish that I brought hope from local stores. Most sellers will replace but they won't refund frieght. I try to be sure I trust the seller before I purchase. The biggest drawback is you need to be home to get your new friends. Fortunetely I can work from home so it is not a big deal.

I've always wanted to try it, but the shipping costs are somewhat expensive. Plus i like to see exactly what I'm getting first.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both sources. Pluses on buying locally are that you are supporting the shop, the fish are more likely to be acclimated to local water, you can see what you are getting, and there's no shipping cost.

On the other hand, online sources (especially AquaBid) are great for finding weirdo fish that the pet shop might not have, and often being able to buy from the breeder of the fish, which I think is nice.

If the local store has what you want in good condition, I'd be inclined to go that route.

i also order alot frm aquabid!! i order most of the time frm aquariustropicals(on aquabid),hes a breeder and usually shipping is including in the price of fish!! he ships 2 day priority, ive ordered frm him several times and hav never gotten a dead arrival!!(knock on wood),he ships then very good!! check this out . his name is Mark and hes frm Wisconsin!!

Back
Top Bottom