buzzing air pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazymom

Aquarium Advice Freak
After my pwc yesterday I turned the plugs back on and now my airpump buzzes noticibly louder than it used to. I tried to make sure all the hoses were in tight and moved it around a bit but still buzzes. It was a $15 dollar pump, do they go bad? It is only 2 months old. If I run the bubbles only at night will that be enough Oxygen for my fish? I was thinking I will get new bubble strips too, will that help you think? We can't stand the noise! Maybe I will just have to buy a new one.

A pump that I had would buzz when turned on and the only way to stop it was to remove some of the pressure and slowly add it back. Sometimes they buzz because they are vibrating on the stand or whatever they happen to be on. Try a paper towel folded in fourths under the pump.

It can be several things... does it put out less air then it used to.. if so the buzzing is the diaphram broken, wich you can replace.. this buzzing could be just the waxpaper disk (its a valve of some sort) got wet in that case just let it dry and then try it again..
Its always good to get a gang valve and bleed off the exess air preasure to keep from waring out the air pump.. in other words if you have an extra valve dont leave it closed open it untill you dont see a differance in the performance of the airstones that are hooked up or open it untill you do and then close it a little; If you dont have a extra air valve then set it up were you do.. I know this wasnt part of your question but I thought to include it anyway.. Just a tip that I was taught... :D

When i ran an air pump, I let it hang from a curtain by curtain pins.. very quiet :)

Dave

Attachments

• airpump.jpg
    airpump.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 65
I noticed mine would do that too after awhile. I solved it by snipping a piece of the air tube that attaches to the pump to tighten up the connection.

I had a similar problem, and mine turned out to be a partially clogged air stone. the two motors were hitting each other due to the stress put on them. I got a new stone, and the problem stoped.

whitetiger_CJ said:
I had a similar problem, and mine turned out to be a partially clogged air stone. the two motors were hitting each other due to the stress put on them. I got a new stone, and the problem stoped.

Bleeding the air off helps that situation as well..

Back
Top Bottom