C02 injection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Taken the plunge and getting into c02 injection. I've picked up a gas bottle, bottle gauge/controller and a ph controller so far. Planning to get rest in a few weeks.

As I understand it, the suggestion was to get an inline reactor to go on the outlet from the canister (and the ph probe as well).

Would anyone have any links explaining this sort of setup for any problems or advice? I'd read up on drop checkers and check valves, some solution that changes colour? and end of tank dumps and gotten confused. I'm not sure if the ph controller does all the checking for me or if other gear would be useful as well?

Edit - drop checker to monitor c02 levels. That was the one I was wondering if worthwhile getting. The bubble counter didn't seem needed(?)

Last edited:
A drop checker is very useful and very inexpensive. You can get one for about 3$ on ebay, and the liquid isn't very expensive either. It is the best way to know how much CO2 is in your tank. I don't think a pH controller is useful.

Can you give more details about the CO2 setup you have? What is your regulator?

You should read this
Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share.
How to build a co2 regulator [56k!]

And for the reactor, do a search for "cerges reactor", easy to build and very efficient

A drop checker is very useful and very inexpensive. You can get one for about 3$ on ebay, and the liquid isn't very expensive either. It is the best way to know how much CO2 is in your tank. I don't think a pH controller is useful.

Can you give more details about the CO2 setup you have? What is your regulator?

You should read this
Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share.
How to build a co2 regulator [56k!]

And for the reactor, do a search for "cerges reactor", easy to build and very efficient

Many thanks for the reply. It looks like the regulator is the one in the link below. Dual gauge, single stage(?) with solenoid and it plugs into a ph controller (second link).

http://www.istaproducts.com/details+CO2+Controller/products/223/

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/ISTA-Aquar...C-Connector-pH-Controller-Meter-/321361076791

It was all purchased from a lfs with warranty so I'm expecting it to be reliable. Have c02 bottle which I hope will last 3 or 4 months on a 4ft tank.

Thanks for the info on the drop checker. It's making more sense now and looks a handy bit of equipment.

Still reading through links but look really useful.

Since I've got the ph controller (I know fish don't need a certain ph, this is just for my convenience) - is there a best location for it?

I can see the sense in putting ph probe and reactor(?) on the canister outflow tubing. I had read that bubbles going into a canister are bad for the impeller if on the inflow line? I'm a little wary of cutting the outflow tubing though if I don't have to as I'm worried on leaks? The tank sits on a wood stand/cupboard with wood bookcases either side.

On my Co2 set up I have the Co2 injected into the tank with a ceramic defuser (I prefer the tube defuser rather than the disc - the bubbles seem smaller). This diffuser is at the bottom if the tank but below the canister filter inlet which is half way up the tank. Any bubbles not diffused into the water are sucked up by the filter and diffused before reaching the impeller. This is supposition but I don't see any bubbles exiting the filter outflow. I use a bubble counter and drop tester and experience has shown which bubble rate is ideally suited to the tank. I would suggest that attention is paid to the Kh as low buffering can allow Co2 to crash the Ph. I keep the Kh at 6 and this seems high enough to stabilise Ph unless you are really heavily injecting the Co2.
I am sure there are many other ways but this works for me. Plant growth is outstanding and the fish are healthy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My tank kh is about 4 or 5 normally and ph lately 7.6 (tap is 8).

It sounds like with the ph controller I set to a ph of say 6.8. It doses c02 during the day. Off at night where I assume ph would rebound back up closer to 7.6?

On my Co2 set up I have the Co2 injected into the tank with a ceramic defuser (I prefer the tube defuser rather than the disc - the bubbles seem smaller). This diffuser is at the bottom if the tank but below the canister filter inlet which is half way up the tank. Any bubbles not diffused into the water are sucked up by the filter and diffused before reaching the impeller. This is supposition but I don't see any bubbles exiting the filter outflow. I use a bubble counter and drop tester and experience has shown which bubble rate is ideally suited to the tank. I would suggest that attention is paid to the Kh as low buffering can allow Co2 to crash the Ph. I keep the Kh at 6 and this seems high enough to stabilise Ph unless you are really heavily injecting the Co2.
I am sure there are many other ways but this works for me. Plant growth is outstanding and the fish are healthy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for this. I'll look into doing that. I'd like to keep it relatively simple.

One thing that was mentioned was that the ph probe needs regular re-calibration so I'd be pulling the outflow hose apart which would be odds on to get some leaks each time.

Back
Top Bottom