CAE vs Rainbow Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Chinese Algae Eater and a Rainbow Shark that pick at each other. At first it looked like they were fighting but now its a strange behavior. They kind of "suck" at each other's faces. Not sure what to think about it.

I have a sae and shark and the sae provokes the shark then a quick little chase happens then nothing . Nothing too aggressive. I think I read somewhere that cae take the slime coat off of fish? Would that be it?

I have a sae and shark and the sae provokes the shark then a quick little chase happens then nothing . Nothing too aggressive. I think I read somewhere that cae take the slime coat off of fish? Would that be it?

Yes they can and not recommended for slow moving Fish like Angels or Discus. I only keep CAE with my Cichlids for that Reason since when CAE get older they get aggressive.

In my Community tank I keep oto catfish, IMO a better choice for community tanks.

Pton46 said:
Yes they can and not recommended for slow moving Fish like Angels or Discus. I only keep CAE with my Cichlids for that Reason since when CAE get older they get aggressive.

In my Community tank I keep oto catfish, IMO a better choice for community tanks.

CAE can go with Cichlids? I have an Mbuna tank but assumed they would tear it up.

Yeah my Rainbow Shark and Chinese Algae Eaters hated each other with a passion. They frequently fought and chased each other. Gave away the Chinese Algae Eaters in the end as they really were going to be problematic for me in the long run.

CAE can go with Cichlids? I have an Mbuna tank but assumed they would tear it up.

I have one with My Africans.... 3 Labs, 1 Red Zebra, 1 Peacock and a Frontosa....Most they do is just chase it out of their Territory and let him go about his business. My tank is pretty peaceful since they are all Juveniles....

I have 2 in my SA tank.....2 convicts, Blood Parrot and a Oscar.

I'm probably lucky, but they have been in the tanks for months now.

Pton46 said:
I have one with My Africans.... 3 Labs, 1 Red Zebra, 1 Peacock and a Frontosa....Most they do is just chase it out of their Territory and let him go about his business. My tank is pretty peaceful since they are all Juveniles....

I have 2 in my SA tank.....2 convicts, Blood Parrot and a Oscar.

I'm probably lucky, but they have been in the tanks for months now.

Boy I just don't know. I had a very cool Albino Rainbow Shark that resided peacefully with my Labs, Peacocks, Haps for months. Then one day they gutted and decapitated it. Seems like the only "safe" alternative to Rift Lake Cichlids are certain Synodontis.

LyndaB said:
Your shark needs a 75 gallon tank. Have any plans to upgrade?

75?!? Wow! I have read 20 gallon minimum and 55 gallon minimum. I've never seen 75 gallon. Although in hindsight, I guess that does make sense since they can grow to 6 or 7" in length.

a rainbow shark actually only needs a 55,but of course,bigger is better. the CAE will kill the shark,both have to be moved to seperate tanks

Boy I just don't know. I had a very cool Albino Rainbow Shark that resided peacefully with my Labs, Peacocks, Haps for months. Then one day they gutted and decapitated it. Seems like the only "safe" alternative to Rift Lake Cichlids are certain Synodontis.

Well CAE are not pushovers, in fact as they age they are pretty Aggressive.

All the Write ups on them have them being too aggressive for certain community tanks.... My CAE has no problems Standing off on the "Head" Lab and the Frontosa....The Peacock Flat out Ignores it. It is all depends on Size and Personality I guess.

a rainbow shark actually only needs a 55,but of course,bigger is better. the CAE will kill the shark,both have to be moved to seperate tanks

Although many sites indicate 55 gallons, I'm going from personal experience. Trust me, they should have at least 75..... I rehomed mine to someone with 125. :D

LyndaB said:
Although many sites indicate 55 gallons, I'm going from personal experience. Trust me, they should have at least 75..... I rehomed mine to someone with 125. :D

Well my only alternative to the 20 gallon community tank is a 55 gallon with Labs, Peacocks and Haps. That make me nervous. I may need to try to trade it up at my LFS. Thanks for your advice, Lynda, as usual.

well,im just going by what ive read(mine isnt fullgrown yet) so listen to the person with experience:)

I picked a CAE. It's with dwarf gouramis, Platys, mollies and corys in a 29 gallon. It's a little under 2 in in size. When will my fish be at risk for being slime-sucked.

I like the CAE so far. It looks and hops around like a tiny lizard. So far doing a great job on my algae. I don't want to lose any fish though

Gish said:
I picked a CAE. It's with dwarf gouramis, Platys, mollies and corys in a 29 gallon. It's a little under 2 in in size. When will my fish be at risk for being slime-sucked.

I like the CAE so far. It looks and hops around like a tiny lizard. So far doing a great job on my algae. I don't want to lose any fish though

I've had dozens of CAEs over the past 30 years and have never seen this happen. Not that I'm saying that it doesn't happen...

i would move it asap if i were you. you never know when it will attack

Back
Top Bottom