Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

calcium buildup removal methods

I have bad calcium buildup on the hood of my tank around the cut outs for my filter...what do you guys do to get rid of this annoying problem???

Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hi there, im a newbi and havent had the calcium probs yet but just a thought on the hood could you not use something like lemon juice but making sure you clean it off really well when your done as for the cut outs i would try and "scrape" as much off as possible. i will keep an eye open for you and see what i can dig up. where abouts are you?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

as a quick internet search found this: How to Get Rid of Calcium Deposits on Fish Tanks | eHow.com i hope this helps
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Remove the hood and soak/scrub with a strong vinegar solution. Use a razor blade for the tough areas. Rinse.

To help keep it from coming back wipe weekly with a clean cloth dampened in a weak vinegar solution.

Tags
build, calcium, methods, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com