Calcium for Apple Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked up 2 new apple snails at my LFS Saturday, 1 for my 20g and 1 for my 55g. I noticed that the snail in my 55g has somewhat of a jagged shell which I didn't notice at first because I just let the guy at the store pick it out for me. If I added calcium to the tank to help him repair his shell, would it hurt the fish at all? If it will, I just won't worry about it because it isn't too bad, but I'd like to help him if I can.

dunno but you could try one of those 7 day feeder things that are calcium rocks, my pleco likes them

You can add a small piece of cuttlebone (sold in the pet bird department) to the tank - use only a small 1 inch piece at a time. If the shell deformities are far back the snail probably won't be able to repair them but as long as there are no real breaks / missing pieces he'll be fine. The cuttlebone will allow him to have enough calcium to grow his new shell areas strongly.

joannde said:
You can add a small piece of cuttlebone (sold in the pet bird department) to the tank - use only a small 1 inch piece at a time. If the shell deformities are far back the snail probably won't be able to repair them but as long as there are no real breaks / missing pieces he'll be fine. The cuttlebone will allow him to have enough calcium to grow his new shell areas strongly.

How long do you keep this in the tank? My PH is 7.2 which i think is ample for the Mystery Snail but i worry about him being calcium deficient also.

Agreed, unless you have very soft water (or are heavily planted and not dosing nutrients) your tap water will have all the calcium the snails need and then some.

Well it actually looks like after only a few days in the tank, his shell is already repairing itself and I didn't have to do anything so I guess he'll be fine.

You can feed broccoli stems on occassion. My snails love fresh veggies and line up to get at them. It certainly won't hurt anyone and they'll get some variety in their diet. I blanch my veggies (baby carrots cut in half, long slices of broccoli stems, zucchini, yellow squash, shelled peas) in a salad plate with a little water in the microwave for 30 - 40 seconds. Just be sure to remove the uneaten portions within 24 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom