Calm before the move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am due to move on the 26th of this month.

I will be taking my tank with me obviously, now I have a few questions and hopefully you guys can help :)

I have already prepared a box to hold the bagged fish and I have insulated it with foam and bubble wrap.

Stock:

6 glowlight tetra
7 neon tetra
1 honey gourami
1 assassin snail

Here are my Qs;

•Should I bag the fish first then drain the tank? Or should I drain most of the water an then bag the fish?

•What number of fish should I put in each bag? 2? 3? 4?

•When bagging the assassin should I put gravel in the bag so it had something to cling to?

•When bagging my filter material do I need them fully emerged or would a "wet-dry" type thing work?

:thanks:

I would say put the filter media in a bag, fill with used tank water till its covered then tie the bag close to water.. little air in the bag as possible

Scouser said:
I am due to move on the 26th of this month.

I will be taking my tank with me obviously, now I have a few questions and hopefully you guys can help :)

I have already prepared a box to hold the bagged fish and I have insulated it with foam and bubble wrap.

Stock:

6 glowlight tetra
7 neon tetra
1 honey gourami
1 assassin snail

Here are my Qs;

•Should I bag the fish first then drain the tank? Or should I drain most of the water an then bag the fish?

•What number of fish should I put in each bag? 2? 3? 4?

•When bagging the assassin should I put gravel in the bag so it had something to cling to?

•When bagging my filter material do I need them fully emerged or would a "wet-dry" type thing work?

:thanks:

I put the glow lights in one, the neons in another, gourami in one and the assassin in one with a piece of plant not gravel. Gravel could damage him. All that is if you have largish bags. I would fully submerse the media just to make sure it stays wet and leave some air in the bag for the BB (no idea how much they need but better safe than sorry!)

I would bag the fish first so you can be assured you have everyone! Bag as few fish per bag as you can manage (more diltued water & less potential ammonia buildup). Make sure theres lots of water & air. A drop or two of prime can be added to each bag. The snails should be fine with no gravel but add some if it will ease transport & your nerves. Place the media fully submersed in water- do not let it dry out at all. :)

I would definitely leave some air in the bag with your media. Bacteria needs air too :)

Ok so here's what ive got so far.

•Bag a few fish (glowies/neons) per bag to prevent ammo buildups

•Bag fish first to assure I haven't misses any once it's drained.

•Put plant in with snail (I'll use Anubias nana) to prevent damage.

•Fully immerse the filter media but still leave some air in the bag.

Am I forgetting anything? :)

Thanks guys!!

Sounds good so far!!!! Also, bag any plants you may have in some tank water as well to keep bacteria on them alive, too.

Oh yea! Duh! Forgot bout the plants.

Only have 3 plants ATM, all Anubias so they can be bagged in fish bags separately.

I plan on putting all the gravel in a bucket for easy transport.

As for heat I have heat pads that I plan to use to keep the box warm, it will be in the car with me (not the boot) so it should be nice and toasty with the heater on :)

Thanks again you 2 :)

So many times I've saw myself dropping it :'(

Well if I did I would have the means to replace it immediately so it would only be a monetary inconvenience lol.

Well fingers crosses it goes well, by the 27th my YouTube channel should have a vid up of the move and the final location :)

Ok well they got here ok, 6 hours in a bag :O

Filled the tank, spilled a ton of water everywhere :/ lol.

They are in and so far look ok, gonna leave the light off and I'll test the water 2moro.

Back
Top Bottom