Can 100% Water Changes Kill Bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was just wondering this since I'm cleaning out one of my tanks. My betta died and I'm preparing for a new one. If I do a 100% water change, will all the beneficial bacteria die because of new water?

Not because of new water if it's treated for chlorine/chloramine... however a 100% water change can be bad if you let things dry out. What's the point of doing a 100% water change if you're not decontaminating the aquarium? If the betta died of anything that could be passed to the new betta, you'll need to do far more than change the water out.

I know I'm scrubbing all the decor and plants to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm doing a real thorough clean out. As long as the bacteria doesn't die. I heard I have to boil the gravel but I'm not sure if that's true is it?

So then are you throwing out the filter media? That's where the majority of your BB is.

No, I'm not throwing out the filter media I never said I was doing any middle-ground. I was just wondering if you have to boil the gravel thats all.

Wait now I'm confused. So should I throw the filter media out? I don't get why trying to keep it alive is so bad. Why is that middle ground?

If your Betta died of a disease it would be all over the tank, including the filter. If you are cleaning the tank you are either doing a full disinfection (including filter) or just cleaning the inside of the tank (gravel, decor, etc) and leaving the filter - cleaning half the tank essentially = middle ground.

Oooh ok I don't think she died of a disease though. I really don't know what she died of. She was perfectly healthy the night before and even had some eggs in her belly, not that I breed but she was next to my male betta. I couldn't inspect the body because the snail decided to have a feast before I could.she might have just hid it well. Ok thanks for clearing that up. I guess I'll replace the filter media.

Before you get a new Betta..pinpoint the problem.
Then decontaminate the tank. A perfectly healthy Betta isn't active the night before then dies the next morning of natural causes; so there is obviously a problem. I would personally start a new cycle after THOROUGHLY cleaning out the filter, decor, gravel, the tank itself. After everything is clean, if you have an existing, established tank seed the Betta tank with established materials then add an ammonia source etc.

Is this Betta tank 5 Gallons?

FreshObsessed said:
Before you get a new Betta..pinpoint the problem.
Then decontaminate the tank. A perfectly healthy Betta isn't active the night before then dies the next morning of natural causes; so there is obviously a problem. I would personally start a new cycle after THOROUGHLY cleaning out the filter, decor, gravel, the tank itself. After everything is clean, if you have an existing, established tank seed the Betta tank with established materials then add an ammonia source etc.

Is this Betta tank 5 Gallons?

The tank is 2.5 gallons. I'd like to do 5 but I have no room whatsoever.

I cleaned the tank out really well, scrubbed all the decor, cleaned the gravel, replaced the filter media, and cleaned out the tank. I have a feeling it had to do with temperature but its just a hunch. It could have been a vampire for all I know.

She wasn't a new betta I had her for 18 months before she died. So sad :'(

As for established materials, would that be like gravel from an existing tank? I do have another betta in an established tank so that could work. Thanks a bunch for all your help and sorry if I'm a bother.

No bother at all. Gravel will have to do if that tank doesn't have a filter, but if it does, take some of the used media out of it. Rip a piece of the cart off and put it in with your new cart.

I would probably just keep my old media if I were you. I doubt she had anything contagious. What were the symptoms?

A little late because I already put it in the trash. She didn't have any symptoms. One night she was alive and the next she was dead. I didn't think she was sick either but I wanted to be safe just in case she did and was really good at hiding it.

The other tank does have a filter I'll use some of that. Thanks a bunch!

Ok so I started re-cycling yesterday and so far readings are 0 ammo and nitrites and 5 nitrates. I thought that meant its cycled. Does that make any sense?

I wouldn't think that big of a water change wouldn't hurt if ur worried bout the bacteria try not to use slot of softener there is a chemical that kills the good bacteria

Yes I seeded the tank with media from another established tank. Does that make any sense to you?

Back
Top Bottom