Can a Black Ghost Knife contract Neon Tetra Disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rambleonme

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My BGK has been living happily in a (usually) healthy community tank alongside a small school of neon tetras for quite a long while now. However, in the last two weeks I lost two of my tetras and I didn't know the cause of death. Today I noticed that one tetra who has been sluggish has become bloated and pale, so I suspect NTD. I've since quarantined this tetra, but now I'm concerned that this may have been the cause of the prior deaths too.

My BGK hasn't ever attacked the Neons but he has eaten parts of the dead fish before I retrieved them. My concern now is whether or not the BGK may have eaten a fish infected with NTD, and if so, is the BGK likely to become infected as well.

Is there anything I can or should do to treat the whole tank? I generally shy away from medicines and would prefer not to add anything if not really needed. No other fish show any sign of disease. But I also don't want to lose any other fish, especially not the BGK.

Thoughts?

There's no way of treating, just get the affected fish out ASAP, not sure about non neon species being able to contract ntd, there is a thread on here about it if you search.

Back
Top Bottom