Can a fish be Immune to ICH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had ICH a couple of times now, recently i returned from vacation and found I had an ammonia spike. Anyways, each time ICH has broken out I have done the heat method which had always worked fine. I haven't lost a fish from ICH yet. However, no matter how bad the ICH breaks out or whether or not its one fish or every fish that has it... My Ram stays unaffected. It didn't get it when I was cycling the tank. It doesn't have it now. (knock on wood).

Do you think it's possible that a fish could be immune to the disease? or do you think more likely that I simply have a very hardy fish? Just looking for some opinions here. Thanks

Yes, some fish are resistant. Eg. Hillstream loaches are reputed to be immune to ich.

Even within a species, certain individuals will be hardier & able to fight off infections better.

Hmmm I was hoping to be told I had some sort of rare "hulk" ram and that I would soon have a flood of offers from breeders! Thats basically what I figured though. Thanks for the input.

Why would breeders care? Rams can be kept safely at temps in the high 80's and ick won't be present in such conditions. Actually I have some rams right now in a tank with my discus at 94 degrees and they are doing very well. I've never seen ick on any wild or European/American bred ram. Those that come from Asia and balloon rams on the other hand are another story.

Back
Top Bottom