Can a nitrogen cycle restart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishbro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Soooooo, My nitrites have dropped....but now my ammonia is up to 1.25ppm...nitrate is at 0..My tank has been cycling for 4-5 weeks now... I had to take out the carbon though and add ick medication to my tank, so I am wondering if that really messed with my cycle considering there was 4 large filters in the tank. I do PWC every other day (i haven't been the last couple days though due to the treatment.) I also treat my water with Prime and water conditioner.

Think my cycle restarted? is that even possible...

Yes, the cycle can get screwed up and have to start over again. Best way for it to happen is with medication.
Now you get to do a fish in cycle.
Simply put, Do as many and as much PWC as it takes to keep the Ammonia, then the Nitrites below .25ppm. It will keep you from loosing any fish during the cycle. Anything higher than .25ppm will cause long term health problems or death
But for right now, you need to do PWC every couple hours until your Ammonia is 0ppm. Use a lot of stress coat during a fish in cycle and keep using Prime.
Good luck, I hope your fish are better from the ick. If not just do daily 50% PWC until your fish are healthy, then do the fish in cycle.

Prime will be your bestest buddy in times like this. I have read that its binding effect only lasts 24-48 hours on ammonia and nitrites though, so keep that in mind. Salt can also help to alleviate the effects of nitrites on your fish.

ich meds can affect the biofilter, both formalin and methylene blue (or malachite green). I believe the ich medications state it on the bottle somewhere.

Next time you treat for ich, try raising the temp up to 86 and adding salt at 1tsp/gallon (slowly, over the course of a day), and leaving it for about 2 weeks.

That's always worked for me, and doesn't mess with the nitrifying bacteria as much.

My bad I forgot to mention that I use aquarium salt and raised the temp to 86 lol
That's great, your covering all your bases.
Yay!!! Beaverton, compared to everyone else,your right next door.
Just curious, living as close as you do, where do you buy your fish?
I get mine from Critter Cabana, in Newberg, they're awesome.

Also your the first person that I get to tell that my female Kenyi (Rainbow) is going to be a Mommy. Ad I'm guessing the Dad is our Red Top Zebra (Charlie). I think it's Charlie because he keeps chasing all the other fish away from Rainbow, and then swims next to her.
It's kind of sweet.

The world of wet pets on apple way. It's off of beaverton hillsdale hwy if you know where that is. They're great as well! I buy all my stuff from them.

Goodluck with the babies! Sounds really exciting! :D

Back
Top Bottom