Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can algae kill fish?

I had one of my rams die today. She was fine yesterday, but this morning she was staying stationary at the bottom of the tank, dark in color. She died this afternoon.

All the other fish are fine, and acting normally. I did some tank maintenance last night. I removed some BBA and BGA algae, so I'm sure some pieces became water-born, and she may have ingested them. Anyone know if these forms of algae can harm fish?

Old 11-06-2006, 04:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BGA wiped out my local lake's livestock so i don't trust it.

However my brother's rainbow shark had a good meal when he ate a couple of sheets of the stuff and he is fine.

Satsumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I don't believe consuming algae wil harm your fish at all. Algae blooms (like in ponds) usually wipe out fish because of oxygen depletion, not because its toxic.

Does your water test okay? Especially ammonia? Dead algae can produce ammnoia if its not removed.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rams are supposedly sensitive to Total Dissolved Solids. Whats you water like? How long did you have this fish? I know everyone is gonna say that they are fine in hard water due to have being bred in it for so long, but I don't buy that.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
fish also dont die from algae, but more so the poorer water params, that allow the algae to grow
Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sicklid - Not sure what you are asking for with the Total Dissolved Solids question, but my GH is 3 degrees and KH is 6 degrees.

hc8719 - I believe have BGA because I'm bottoming out on Nitrates. I thought low nitrates is good for fish, bad for plants (except Algae, which can get nitrogen by some other means?). I have ordered ferts, and hopefully when they come in I can get the plants going and start to eliminate the algae. Also, Ammonia and Nitrites are likewise zero. I'm not sure what else to check. At least I know the problem wasn't caused by ingesting the algae.

edit: Forgot to mention I've had her for about a month. The other ram (and all the other fish for that matter <click my info> are acting normal).
Old 11-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
what i had meant was normal algar is caused by water not taken care of greatly, not badly either, i change my 55 gal weekly, and never have algae, but my 20 gal, change maybe every 2 weeks, and algae pops up
Old 11-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmm... I've been doing a 30% pwc weekly in the past, and still had algae. I'm trying to change that to every two weeks, since I'm bottoming out on nitrates. I guess every tank is different.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com