Can anybody help me identify this snail please (:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shexx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417125860.387155.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417125886.391612.jpg I went to a local pet shop to buy some cherry shrimp, and there were these snaiIs in the tank aswell. I checked they would get along well in my community tank, picked the biggest one and brought him home, where he is happily munching away at my plants. but we cant remember what they were actually called!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is that the glass distorting its shell? I think they are ivory or golden mystery snails which I love. I have 3 and they are so fun to watch.

Ramshorn?

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone! Think he is a golden mystery snail :) if I feed him on pellets will be stop eating my plants.hes only been there 6 hours and has demolished them!

Is that the glass distorting its shell? I think they are ivory or golden mystery snails which I love. I have 3 and they are so fun to watch.

Thanks very much. They very much could be, I've looked at some pics online, but I havnt seen any with black and mottled patterns on face/horns like mine. Have you ever seen them with that colouring? (I'm very new to this )

Mine have similar faces and their patterns really change depending on the individual snail. I have one that actually came out of the tank (I have a full lid so I am not sure how she did it) and I found her on the hardwood floor with a cracked shell. I was so upset and had no clue how long she sat there (or why my cat didnt eat her). I put her back in the tank and she didnt move for a day. I thought for sure she would die, but she came around and is back to normal. That was a month ago.

Now her shell has a crack that has since sealed itself up, but it left a mark. They can have many different markings depending on their lifestyle or things they have experienced. I give mine algae wafers and they have grown quit a bit. I think they will still go after the plants as they never seem to get full.

Ahh thankyou. I'm glad your snail was okay!! He's been eating half an algae wafer, twice a day, and has stopped going after the plans as much, except for the odd nibble :)

Thanks. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417551121.299092.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417551145.003812.jpg could this tiny little one be a baby mystery/Apple ?

That's what I thought...don't know we're he came from but I'm glad he survived the journey from wherever he came from!

I've not bought anything new for a while so he must have been in there for ages before I spotted him!

Back
Top Bottom