Can anyone help me identify these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

applepip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had 3 different people "donate" their fish to me now because they have been getting rid of their tank, and wanted them to go to a person they knew would look after them as best as they could, but truth be told Im not entirely sure on the breed of some of them. Its just for general interest but could anyone help me in identifying some of them?
Ill post pictures of the ones Im not sure of and any help at all would be much appreciated :) thankyou!
Pic 1 - My larger pleco, I have a sailfin but Im not just not sure of the type of this one as they have different markings.
Pic 2 - I know they are loaches just not sure of the type
Pic 3 - Its a type of tetra just not sure which
Pic 4 - Its a gourami, I recieved it along with the pleco and 2 blue gourami, and would like to know what type of gourami it is :)

Attachments

• P1000791.jpg
    P1000791.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 62
  • P1000794.jpg
    P1000794.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 64
  • P1000800.jpg
    P1000800.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P1000877.jpg
    P1000877.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 64
I think your pleco is called a High Fin Plecostomus

I have had several of them and have given them away when they got to big for the tank.

Good luck

Some sort of Botia Loach, possible Kitty Tetra, and a Gold Gourami with a Bala Shark behind it.

I think your pleco is called a High Fin Plecostomus

I have had several of them and have given them away when they got to big for the tank.

Good luck
Thankyou! :)) and ahh I hope he doesnt get any bigger, Ive had him just around 3 months and as far as I can tell he hasnt grown from the hefty 9 inches he was when I received him (the woman told me he was "about 5" on the phone!) but I know how large they can get and really would be sad if I had to rehome him :(

It's a Botia sidthimunki, my favorite!
Ahhh thankyou so much! I was given a little group of 5 of them from my friends mum about 9 months ago and all she could tell me was that she thought they were loaches, and Ive been searching for their name ever since :) And yes I love mine too, they always seem so busy and happy and their markings are so cute :)

Some sort of Botia Loach, possible Kitty Tetra, and a Gold Gourami with a Bala Shark behind it.
Youre right, they could be kitty tetra, though the body seems slimmer and dorsal less curved and long? Also I dont know how well the photo shows it but there are white tips on the fins that I cant see on googles kitty tetras, but yes definate golden gourami thankyou :))

I think you should be prepared for the pleco to grow a lot more yet. Mines just hit the 15 inch mark

there are a few more..

I have a few others that Im also not sure on but it only let me upload 4 images at once, so here are the others, once again any help at all would truly be appreciated, thankyou :)
Pic 1 and 2 - My favourite and most prized fish is picture 1, she/he is so beautiful, I love everything about him/her (gender help would also be appreciated aha), the shape, colour, reflective colours, beautiful! Picture 2 is its pair, who I also love. I was told when I received them that they were pink kissing gourami, and have googled etc and the 2nd one seems to fit, but my favourite seems to be the wrong shape? Is it still a kissing gourami orrrr???? I would really love to know :) such a beautiful fish.
Pic 3 - I was given this plant with some fish by my friends mum as she was getting rid of her tank. She didnt know the name of the plant, only told me it grows well on bogwood (though from my experience it doesn't, hence the planting in my gravel which it seems to be doing well in) Ive only got this scrappy little bit and would possibly like to get some more, depending on your comments, could you tell me anything about the plant? What is it? What fish like it? Is it "good" for anything? etc? thankyou for any information you can give me :)
Pic 4 - Same story and asks as pic 3, what is it, what fish like it etc :)
ALSO, the light green/mint rock in pics 3 and 4, anyone have any clue what type of rock it is? I was given 4 chunks of it by the same woman as she had it in her tank and thought it was too pretty to throw away, and I loved it too :) but yeah just out of curiosity anyone have any clue? :)
As Ive said, any help at all would be much appreciated thankyou :))

Attachments

• P1000847.jpg
    P1000847.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 47
  • P1000839.jpg
    P1000839.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 48
  • P1000868.jpg
    P1000868.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 48
  • P1000870.jpg
    P1000870.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 50
I think you should be prepared for the pleco to grow a lot more yet. Mines just hit the 15 inch mark
Oh dear I hope not :/ does tank size affect how much fish grow? Ive been told it does but dont know whether its true.
Ive had him 3 months and I dont think he's grown, but then again Im not sure on the growth rate of plecos that size, and I dont know his age :/

#3 from the first set of pics is a Gold tetra. Active, social, peaceful.
#3 from the second set of pics is Java fern. Low light tolerant, grows best attached to driftwood or rocks. Not sure if fish find this tasty.

Back
Top Bottom