Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2003, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can anyone ID these fish? **updated**

Can anyone ID any of these fish? I don't know all of their names. Sorry, the pics aren't too great. Any help would be appreciated.

These two pictures are of the same feww fish if you can't tell. They're definitely topdwellers. They're always at the top of the tank just hanging around.

This was a *something* ram. I forgot.

The silver guys with the red fins are some sort of emperor tetras but I forgot what kind exactly... The one on the bottom right is a gourami, but that's about all I know about him.

Old 12-14-2003, 10:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure about the first 2 pics, but I *think* those are killifish.

3rd pic of of a blue ram aka German ram.

4th has a Boesmani Rainbowfish in the back, and some sort of cory in the front.

5th I'm pretty sure the ones with the red fins aren't tetras but another type of rainbowfish; the lil guy in the front right is a dwarf neon gourami. The one on the left swimming out of the picture is a rummy nose tetra. The 2 striped guys in the back may be the emperor tetras; kinda hard to see them to be sure.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:27 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Good work Allivymar!!!! I'm not sure which killifish those are in the first picture either but Allivymar got all of the others right on the mark! Those are DEFINITELY killifish in the first 2 pictures.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yay for me!!! And I was just guessing *grin* Looks like I'm not the weakest link.

Where's my prize?

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but those killies look like Aplocheilus lineatus.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:48 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
The blue and red fish in the last picture, identified by Alli as rainbowfish, are indeed rainbowfish. More specifically, they're Praecox Rainbows (Melanotaenia praecox). There is also one Boesmani Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesmani) in the last picture, near the foreground, in the shadows with a just-visible yellow tail, and one Blue Ram swimming away from the camera on the right behind the Praecox.

And I think the cory in the fourth pic is a bronze cory (Corydoras aeneus); panda cories usually have blacker dots, not a full line.

Oh, and though the gourami in the last picture is a dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia) I'm pretty sure it is called a "flame gourami." Flame gourmis, neon blue dwarf and powder blue dwarf gouramis are all the same species, but selectively bred specimens.

Sorry I can't ID the exact killifish species. Try the American Killifish Association for pictures: www.aka.org. They have a fantastic site. Beware that the fish you're looking at probably fetches $25-100! Yikes!
Old 12-15-2003, 11:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasafish
Oh, and though the gourami in the last picture is a dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia) I'm pretty sure it is called a "flame gourami." Flame gourmis, neon blue dwarf and powder blue dwarf gouramis are all the same species, but selectively bred specimens.
Just wanted to note this as correct. The neon or neon blue gourami is mostly blue and shows faint striping of the "regular" dwarf gourami.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you everyone for all of your help. I got some more pics and labeled them to make it a whole lot easier. Let me know if you can identify any of the unknown fish or correct any mistakes that I have made... Thanks again for all your help

So far, this is what information I have gotten (mostly due to all your help):
1 Clown Loach
2 Praecox Rainbow Fish
3 Congo Tetra
4 Boeseman's Rainbowfish
5 Australian Rainbowfish
6 Blue (German) Ram
7 Celebes Rainbowfish
8 Red Irian Rainbowfish
9 Pictus Catfish
10 Bronze Corydora
11 Killifish
***note: The yellow killifish is Aplocheilus lineatus and the other one is an Aplocheilus dayi
12 Dwarf Flame Gourami
13 Rummy Nose Tetra

Old 12-16-2003, 07:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you the person who got all those fish from a LFS that was closing?

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 07:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

#9 is a pictus catfish.... watch out for that **** barb they got in their back

30 Gallon Tang. Cube
Xp2
Yellow Cavlus and front friends.
christerrell2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:18 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

#3 = Congo Tetra, Phenacogrammus interruptus, male
#4 = Boeseman's Rainbowfish, Melanotaenia boesemani
#7 = Celebes Rainbowfish, Marosatherina (Telmatherina) ladegesi
#9 = Pictus Cat, Pimelodella pictus
#10 = Bronze Corydoras, Corydoras aeneus

I'm not familiar enough with killifish to make a firm identification of the killis that you have pictured but I tend to agree with VoodooChili that the larger ones are probably Aplocheilus lineatus. The smaller, yellow-finned ones are probably Aplocheilus dayi
Old 12-16-2003, 09:46 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Oh...by the way...quite a mix of fish you've got there.

The Congo Tetra, P. interruptus is, as its name implies, from the Congo River basin of Africa. It prefers to live in schools, likes a planted tank and prefers soft, acid water. Males reach about 8cm (3 inches) and females a bit smaller.

Aplocheilus lineatus, the Striped Panchax, is a Southeast Asian killifish. They like neutral to slightly acid water and can sometimes be aggressive. They reach lengths of 10cm (4 inches).

Aplocheilus dayi, Day's Panchax, is another Southeast Asian killifish. They like conditions much like A. lineatus but aren't quite as aggressive and don't get as big...8cm (3 inches).

The Celebes Rainbowfish, Marosatherina ladegesi is from the Indonesian island of Celebes. They reach lengths of about 6cm (2 3/8 inches). They seem to like a little salt in their water and are quite peaceful.

Boeseman's Rainbowfish, Melanotaenia boesemani, is a Rainbowfish from New Guinea. They like water in the neutral range and are fairly peaceful. They grow to about 10cm (4 inches).

The Pictus catfish, Pimelodella pictus, is a South American catfish that may reach as much as 25cm (10 inches) though in the aquarium anything over 11.5cm (4 1/2 inches) is unusual. They are not to be trusted around much smaller fish.

Corydoras aeneus, the Bronze Cory, is a South American armored catfish that likes neutral to slightly alkaline conditions with no salt added. They are, like pretty much all Corydoras, very peaceful and prefer others of their own kind to be around. They reach about 8cm (3 inches) though they're usually a little smaller.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:11 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

#5 is probably an Australian Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia splendida). It's a rainbowfish of some sort, for sure. You can tell by the distinctive flat-to-concave shape of the line from mouth to dorsal fin. The black line suggests the Australian... http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...21&pCatId=1020 Could, but probably isn't, an Axelrod Rainbow. I really can't tell from the picture. Could you take one more pic of this guy?

#8 is a Red Irian Rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisis). http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...21&pCatId=1057

Oh, and I identified the Boesmani Rainbows (Melanotaenia boesmani) for you in my last post, btw.

NICE! You got some great fish, if these are your fish!! And if you got those killis for cheap you got a real deal. How much, if I may ask for them all? Each?
Old 12-16-2003, 11:15 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

BTW, here's a few really nice pics of the Celebes Rainbow: http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/Pictu...fm?StartRow=3&ID=6300&what=species http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/Pictu...fm?StartRow=1&ID=6300&what=species http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/Pictu...fm?StartRow=2&ID=6300&what=species
Old 12-17-2003, 03:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasafish
NICE! You got some great fish, if these are your fish!! And if you got those killis for cheap you got a real deal. How much, if I may ask for them all? Each?
I got an amazing deal for these fish actually. They are all mine. I got them all in one bundle from a lfs that was trying to get rid of one of their established tanks and make room for a new one coming in.

2 Clown Loach's
~5 Praecox Rainbow Fish
2 Congo Tetra
2 Boeseman's Rainbowfish
2 Australian Rainbowfish
1 Blue (German) Ram
1 Celebes Rainbowfish
1 Red Irian Rainbowfish
1 Pictus Catfish
1 Bronze Corydora
2 Killifish
1 Dwarf Flame Gourami
1 Rummy Nose Tetra
1 zebra striped pleco
~7 *unidentified* fish that look like red neon tetras with a little black on them
2 ghost? or glass? shrimp (they're really small, about half an inch)
3 snails

About nine high quality plastic plants
a bunch of rocks, gravel, and driftwood

a nice 100 watt heater
a 30 gallon tall acrylic tank (there are some scratches, but it's all repairable)
an Eclipse II hood with upgraded pc ballasts that costs around $65 new, plus a bulb. (The hood is two years old. The impellor has been replaced once)
I got ALL of the stuff I mentioned above for $200.
I wonder how much the fish alone would have cost... Any idea?
Old 12-17-2003, 01:47 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

One quick comment....the two fish you have labeled as #11 are actually two DIFFERENT species of killifish....not male and female of the same species.

I'm now reasonably sure of the identifications that were made earlier. One is Aplocheilus lineatus and the other is Aplocheilus dayi
Old 12-17-2003, 02:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Everybody, thank you so much for al your help. I really appreciate it!

30 gallon tall Eclipse II: 4 Praecox Rainbow Fish, 2 Australian Rainbowfish, 3 zebra snails, 2 Clown Loaches, 2 Congo Tetra, 2 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 1 Red Irian Rainbowfish, 1 Bronze Corydora, 1 Golden Panchax Killifish, 1 Aplocheilus lineolatus Killifish, 1 Common Pleco (~5 in.), 1 candystripe Pleco (~1 1/2 in.)

My online photos
illuminum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com