Can anyone identify this fish please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrQuan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
G'day,

I'm new here~~ I recently bought a 4ft aquarium and have set it up with freshwater and plants. I threw in some comets and black googley-eyed dudes that I previously had in a smaller aquarium.

Recently I bought some fish, but I have forgotten what they are!!! I added 3 bristle-nosed catfish, a handful of tiny white (pinkish) catfish that I've nicknamed fleas due to their behaviour, and a couple of silver fish (about 60mm long). I took a photo and added a picture of it here.

img_505352_0_9ea6b21e9596765a03c309f7ef5c5c85.jpg

Can anyone identify the pictured silver fish or the tiny white catfish please?

Cheers.

comets and black moores are coldwater fish, and your other fish are tropicals. they can't be mixed, due to the very different temperature requirements they have.

best to keep your old smaller aquarium as a coldwater and get some more tropicals to go in your big tank.

can't help you on the ident, though.

The aquarium guy here matched them for me and told me to keep the water temp at 25°C - they all seem happy so far... but I'll keep an eye on them.

Thanks.

img_505364_0_d0b1384134d6b5f906bb99e169bb34a6.jpg

img_505364_1_7c4d5472cb37e3365701b0dd3a3a2a39.jpg

Here's a couple of photos I just took of the "flea" catfish. This might help someone here identify them along with the silver one (pictured in my initial post).

The tiny catfish here is about 25mm in length and zips around the aquarium (hence the nickname flea). Being a catfish, he eats from the gravel on the bottom.

Thanks!

Ok, after some research I found the tiny 'flea' catfish are called Pink Cory Catfish (scientific name Corydoras species). :D

...still looking for the name of the silver fish though :)

The first pic is a rainbow fish. Austrailian rainbow possibly but can't be possitive on that. The catfish are actually abino form of bronze cory (corydoras aeneus)

Ohhh rainbow fish! Thanks for that :) I just googled the albino bronze cory and it looks like you're right on the money there.

Edit: Thanks to Fluff, I found the silver fish are juvenile Red-Striped Rainbow (scientific name: Melanotaenia splendida rubrostriata). Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom