Can Arawana Eggs Be Toxic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NCASRULES

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I work in an office that has a large tank with a silver arawana, blood parrots, oscars, and plecos. Last week the arawana we have all been calling "HE" laid a couple dozens eggs. Obviously they were infertile and within two hours they were eaten by the plecos and some of the parrots.

When the eggs were eaten the yolks really fouled up the water and the fish were pretty stressed the next day. After a large water change most of the fish are doing better except four of the parrots died over the weekend. I am pretty sure the ones that died were the only ones that actually ate the eggs.

Has anyone heard anything like this? Could the eggs be poisonous? The tank is at least 225gal, has a good filter system, regular water changes, and are not overfed.

Thanks

Hey there,

I am by no means an expert but I saw this had no replies so I thought I would do some research. It appears that if the eggs came out of 'his' mouth, then he really is a guy! From what I can tell the male will cary the eggs in his mouth. I've read that the males keep the eggs in their mouths for 5 weeks.

As far as them being poisonous... I haven't read anywhere that they are. Seeing that the males carry them in their mouths, I don't think they would be.

Here's the site I used:
More Information on the Arowana

Thanks Meegosh,
I did some research when she laid the eggs last week and read they are mouthbrooders. This was an immaculate unconception since she has not seen another arawana in at least a year. Some fish do this when they reach maturity and the water conditions are right. I hope it is not a frequent thing but if it happens again we will get the eggs out quick.
The other fish are doing well today.

Back
Top Bottom