Can Betta's see in the Dark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyameeGirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,

Just a curiosity question...

Can betta's (or any fish for that matter) see in the dark?

My amano shrimp comes out only at night since I got the betta, and I'm wondering if it's because the betta can't see him??

:fish2:

Thanks!

Most invertebrates are nocturnal (snails/shrimp)
Was your Amano active during the day before your betta was introduced?

Most invertebrates are nocturnal (snails/shrimp)
Was your Amano active during the day before your betta was introduced?

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I had the snail and shrimp for 6 days before my betta arrived (June 30).

Before that, my shrimp was out all the time.

Actually, I got my betta in on Thursday and on Friday my amano shrimp molted and he's been hiding ever since. He comes out at night when we have the lights off, but other than that, he stays in the shrimp habitat tube things that we have in the tank.

I researched shrimp before getting him and read that a lot of people had amano shrimp because the betta usually left them alone since they were larger than other shrimp.

I didn't want to have a situation in my tank where one of my lil' guys was alway hiding because it was scared.

I'm afraid that's what's happening. :ermm:

Any advice? Is the shrimp hiding because he just molted? It's been 3-4 days already.

Thanks in advance!

~ Mona

After a shrimp has molted he is very vulnerable. They wait for their new exoskeletons to harden, they're a pretty easy snack until then. So yep, he's hiding due to that he doesn't want to become food. :)

After a shrimp has molted he is very vulnerable. They wait for their new exoskeletons to harden, they're a pretty easy snack until then. So yep, he's hiding due to that he doesn't want to become food. :)

Thanks Cleggat!

I hope that's all it is. I know that they are vulnerable after they molt (which scared the crap out of me when I saw his exoskeleton, by the way ~ I thought it was my shrimp! LOL), but I was unsure how long they hide.

Thanks! :thanks:

Haha, it's pretty weird, some of my shrimp's molt is coloured like them too, pretty funky.

Haha, it's pretty weird, some of my shrimp's molt is coloured like them too, pretty funky.

LOL, I know, right? The skin even had the black of the eyes and everything. I called my husband to come take it out at first cause I thought he was dead! It wasn't until we looked in the tube and saw him in there that we realized it was just the exoskeleton! :lol:

Since we are so new to the hobby, I guess we'll come across surprises every once in a while. Forums like this are a great find!

Idd, it's a great forum with some really helpful people. :D

Back
Top Bottom