Can Ghost Shrimp Carry ICH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Question about ICH. Edit: Could be something else, new details, please see post 7.

I am in the middle of treating my tank for ICH. It came about three weeks after I introduced marbled hatchets from my LFS (all died :(), and one week after introducing two ghost shrimp from PetSmart. I would really like to find out where it came from if possible.

Three weeks seems like a long time for it to be from the hatchets from the LFS, but I didn't think ghost shrimp could carry it, which would get PetSmart off the hook. Could they still have been carriers, or maybe it was in the water with the ghost shrimp that I poured into the tank after acclimatizing them?

I didn't see any symptoms until it was too late for the hatchets. I am now treating two plattys and two ottos.

Lessons learned: buy a quarantine tank, and don't add the LFS water into my tank, just net the fishes in after they are acclimatized. Still if anybody has thoughts on the source I would love to hear it, thanks.

i find petsmart better than petco here and have only had a few fatalities when i had a live bearer tank

There is much debate on that...I believe that yes, especially right after a molt, they could carry ich.

Uh oh, now I see some weird white stuff on my plants, too. Is this ICH or am I dealing with something else? Here is the plant, see middle of photo:

IMG0284-L.jpg

Here is the fish, for reference. It's hard to tell from the picture but there are white spots:

IMG0287-L.jpg

edit: if a mod wants to move this to the sick fish forum, that is fine by me. I posted here because it started as a general question but now it is pretty specifically about sick fish/plants.

No. I do believe those plants are just starting to rot because they are actually not aquatic. Some you have in there are but I know for sure the ones with the white edges are not. They will rot and foul your water so it's best to pull them out.

No. I do believe those plants are just starting to rot because they are actually not aquatic. Some you have in there are but I know for sure the ones with the white edges are not. They will rot and foul your water so it's best to pull them out.

Okay good to know and will do. Thanks a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom