Can I add 5 neon tetras to this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now, I have 2 Black Tetras, one Silver Molly, and one Pleco inside of a 10 gallon tank. I want to add 5 Neon Tetras to have them swim in shoals. Would this cause a problem such as overcrowding? Also, whenever I leave the room where my fish are and come back and turn the lights on, the Pleco continues sucking on the side of the aquarium then stops. Next, the Pleco zooms to my aquarium heater and sucks on it, but doesn't move around. Is this normal?

Your pleco is acting normally. IMO you can add the neons, they are small. You need to be prepared for the pleco getting too big for the tank, because he will outgrow the tank.

Welcome to AA! Looking forward to more posts from you! And pics are always nice too. :wink: :lol:

Zagz said:
Your pleco is acting normally. IMO you can add the neons, they are small. You need to be prepared for the pleco getting too big for the tank, because he will outgrow the tank.

Welcome to AA! Looking forward to more posts from you! And pics are always nice too. :wink: :lol:
Thanks for the warm welcome. :D I'll add pics once I find my camera. :p How big will the Pleco get? The Pleco fits in nicely with the tank. I don't want to remove the him/her. :cry:

rich311k said:
Do you know what kind it is. The common pleco grows to 18+ inches.
I believe it is a Catfish Pleco and it is currently ~5-6 inches long.

It is true what Rich says about the common pleco. It will take years for them to get that big but it is quite possible that he will outgrow the 10 gal in a few months. I've had plecos grow almost an inch a month under the right conditions. I would guess 1/2" per month would be normal. Solution, do like me and contract MTS (multiple tank syndrome) and get bigger tanks. LOL, I just purchased my 10th tank, a 75 gal. 8O

Back
Top Bottom