Can I add all these fish at once?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just about done with my fishless cycle! I've got a 48 gallon bowfront that's just about ready to get some tenants.

Here's what I plan on getting-
8 x Neon Tetras
8 x Bleeding Heart Tetras
8 x Guppys
8 x Glo Fish
4 x Cory Catfish
-possibly a Dwarf Gourami later down the road

My tank is taking 4ppm ammonia down to 0 in under 24 hours. Can I, and should I add all these fish at once? My concern is that since these are small fish it may weaken my bio-filter if I add them too slowly.

p.s.- I had asked this question in another thread I posted about compatibility, but it was suggested I make this it's own thread.

no your going to shock the good bacteria and start a cycle over agian its suggested you only add a max of four fish every 2-3 days

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

I would do half first, then split the remaining half in half again and do 1/4 about 2 weeks later, then the remaining 1/4 another 2 weeks later. I would save the cories for last.

IMO, if you're cycling with 4ppm ammonia, you've build up a nice big colony of bacteria. You might get away with doing it all at once, but personally, I wouldn't chance it.

Add only 4 neon tetras to a cycled 48 gallon tank? I know 4 tetras aren't going to put in near the amount of ammonia that the tank is used to and can handle. Wouldn't that cause the opposite reaction and kill off the bacteria colony since there's not enough ammonia to feed it?

I wouldn't either. I'd add one of those groups per week, with the cories last. There's nothing wrong with playing it safe when it comes to stocking, even after a strong fishless cycle. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom