Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2022, 07:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can I add anything else to my 10 gallon planted tank?

Hi all,

I currently have 7 endlers and a few shrimp in my 10 gallon, the tank has been established for about 4 months and I am considering adding a tank mate. I am drawn to a small bottom feeder such as Otocinclus but they have to be kept in groups so would 3 or 4 of these overcrowd my tank?

Any other suggestions for suitable tank mates welcome - I am trying to stay clear of snails because I find them a bit boring and my tank become over run really quickly after I tried them before.

TIA

Old 02-07-2022, 08:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

As long as you have sufficient filtration i see no reason why your plan couldnt work.

I have a question about the "bottom feeder" comment. Otos will eat algae, and while that may be something they find on the substrate, they arent bottom feeders as such. They will spend their time grazing wherever algae can be found, on rocks, decorations, off the glass, any plants etc. Are you wanting the otos to carry out a specific role of cleaning up the substrate?
Old 02-07-2022, 08:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I didn’t have a specific task in mind for them, I was more conscious that endlers spend most of their time in the middle/top of the tank so I was looking for something that preferred being on the bottom so they don’t encroach on each other’s space since it’s not a huge tank but I’m glad you think I can add some in. Would 3 be enough for the Otos to be happy or is that not enough?
Old 02-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyLou View Post
Would 3 be enough for the Otos to be happy or is that not enough?
4 would be better than 3. 6 would be better than 4. Given the size of the tank though, i would go with 4 to avoid overstocking.

Tags
10 gallon, gallon, plant, planted, planted tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com