Can I add anything else to my 10 gallon planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbbyLou

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I currently have 7 endlers and a few shrimp in my 10 gallon, the tank has been established for about 4 months and I am considering adding a tank mate. I am drawn to a small bottom feeder such as Otocinclus but they have to be kept in groups so would 3 or 4 of these overcrowd my tank?

Any other suggestions for suitable tank mates welcome - I am trying to stay clear of snails because I find them a bit boring and my tank become over run really quickly after I tried them before.

TIA :)

As long as you have sufficient filtration i see no reason why your plan couldnt work.

I have a question about the "bottom feeder" comment. Otos will eat algae, and while that may be something they find on the substrate, they arent bottom feeders as such. They will spend their time grazing wherever algae can be found, on rocks, decorations, off the glass, any plants etc. Are you wanting the otos to carry out a specific role of cleaning up the substrate?

I didn’t have a specific task in mind for them, I was more conscious that endlers spend most of their time in the middle/top of the tank so I was looking for something that preferred being on the bottom so they don’t encroach on each other’s space since it’s not a huge tank but I’m glad you think I can add some in. Would 3 be enough for the Otos to be happy or is that not enough?

Back
Top Bottom