Can I add more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrmjrm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all. I've got a 29 gal. tank. In the tank now, I've got 5 giant danio and 4 emerald green cory cats. I love my fish, they're super active and always doing something, but I was wondering if I could add a few more fish to the tank without severely over-crowding them. I was thinking maybe a gourami or a small school of something colorful. Everything in there now tends to blend in - I was hoping to add some color. The aqadvisor says that I shouldn't add more, but I've heard that the site is pretty conservative. Just wanted to get some experienced opinions.

Well i would say you could add a few tetras or a Dwarf gourami. I think that the aqadvisor is just a guideline. It really depends on the bio load of the tank. So i think IMO that it would be alright for you to add some tetras or a dwarf gourami. Just keep up water changes and there wont be a problem.

But remember that giant danios can get to around 10 cm big or 4 inches. But there will be more experienced people here then me and could tell you alot more :D

What kind of filter are you running?

With enough filtration, a group of small tetras is a possibility.

I'll say no because of the giant danios. They really should be moved, a 29 is just not long enough for them longterm IMO. If you didn't have those, I'd say that properly filtered you have room to add quite a bit as long as they are appropriate to the tank size and current stocking and added gradually.

The danios

I'm thinking you're right, HN1. When I got them I was stupid and went off of the card at Petsmart that said the giant danios only needed 20 + gallons. Last night I did some research and learned that they would be happier in a bigger tank. I really like them, they're very energetic fish - but I also don't want them to be miserable in my tank when they're fully grown. Anyone know if Petsmart will take them back?

Reactions: HN1
Some will take them back, but won't give you anything for them. Others might let you return them. A small LFS is usually less bound by policy and easier to deal with as a result. I think I'd look into trading them for smaller fish. Trades usually go over better than asking the store to refund cash.

trade them in for regular danios. they are just as active if you like that. also with the smaller size = less bio load = more fish capable.

Back
Top Bottom